General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alarge
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-16 11:55:19
Print Post

Fibre in my area but not with TalkTalk

[link to this post]

Hi

We have recently got the cabinet enabled within the last week. BT, Sky, Plusnet, EE all can provide us with fibre now if we placed an order. However we use utility warehouse and would like to take up the deal with them for 25% off broadband. They use TT to provide their broadband and currently cannot tell us when it will be available!

I have tried contacting TT direct but they say it's not available and don't know when it will be. To be honest it probably should be ringing alarm bells that they have poor customer service and not to go with them even if its 25% less!

Just wondering if in general some ISP's are slow to the game. If so how long would I expect to need to wait? Another cabinet in the next village (connected to the same exchange) went live 3rd June and a check on a property there shows they can't get it through TalkTalk either.

I assumed that FTTC meant it was all Openreach equipment and TalkTalk didn't have to put equipment in the exchange. Does it make a difference if prior to FTTC being available the exchange was not LLU and our ADSL was provided via BT's Extended Network? From what I have been reading online - it does not, but I could be wrong!

Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 12:09:44
Print Post

Re: Fibre in my area but not with TalkTalk

[re: alarge] [link to this post]

For fttc talktalk still put their own connections in the exchange so it does rely on them enabling your exchange - if others have been live for a while then talktalk may not be doing the exchange at all.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Wed 29-Jun-16 12:44:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

TT are notoriously slow at getting the cablelink installed. In my area it was the best part of a year after other ISP's offered fibre before they did. Then we had to put up with a massive advertising push, when they did, to try and regain customers they lost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-16 13:24:49
Print Post

Just go with an alternative ISP, as you say the CS is very very poor. The service itself is decent when it works though.

There is no answer to how long TT may take, could be a week, could be a month, could be a year.
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Wed 29-Jun-16 13:45:29
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

About 18 months ago fibre was available in my area and I left TT to get it. TT has sent me personal letters saying come back but they still can not offer fibre in my area, and can give no time scale when it may be available.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jun-16 17:17:29
Print Post

Fibre does not always terminate at the user's phone exchange. It may terminate at a "head-end" exchange nearby.

TalkTalk need to be LLU'ed at whichever of those it is. They then need to buy from Openreach a 1Gbps or 10Gbps connection called a GEA Cablelink. £2,000 and £10,000 respectively. That connects the Openreach termination kit to the TalkTalk backhaul.

BT Wholesale are always first. Sky usually not far behind. TalkTalk often late to the party.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 29-Jun-16 17:18:23)

Print Thread

Jump to