General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Sat 02-Jul-16 15:58:30
Print Post

Virgin Media

[link to this post]

Have started digging outside my cul de sac property.
Which is a flat complex.
Putting in green piping.
Is Virgin totally independent from BT.
Or has VM got to use the BT infrastructure,street boxes, exchanges etc.
Never seen it explained before, all I see is an advertising 'Blurb' of how their Fibre is so much better than others.
Interested to know.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Jul-16 16:01:05
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

>Is Virgin totally independent from BT.

Yes.

They have their own cabinets, cables and use a different architecture completely.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Sat 02-Jul-16 16:04:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your very quick reply
Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Jul-16 17:33:44
Print Post

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

There's little evidence to suggest a Virginmedia connection will always be better than a BT Fibre FTTC connection in real world everyday usage.

Raw speed, a Virginmedia connection may be better, although single threaded downloads are often poor on Virginmedia and BQM graphs on VM are usually not as good as other FTTC providers due to the nature of their network.

Headline speed is not everything.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Jul-16 00:01:21
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Agreed!

In a good area, at a good time, with good kit you'll be able to download films super quick but as I found recently with my Virgin connection it's absolutely pants at doing some things such a good quality Skype calls and over the last year the network has n my area has grown ugly with congestion due to Virgins great idea of handing out free upgrades left right and centre and not upgrading anything locally to cope with the new top out speed...

Streaming after 3pm becomes a bit choppy with 7-8pm leading to a 5 min buffering break.

I recently helped a relative with a house move and they lived in a good area for Virgin but they've told me that they see the improvement on things like Skype calls and general responsiveness of the connection and they've gone to a slower connection than they had with Virgin.

Don't mean to slam virgin, they helped me out for years but they've not got it anymore IMO.

EDIT:

Thought I would go ahead and add some speed test results showing my disappointment.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Huawei HG612 + Archer C9
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Super Hub 2ac
SkyFibre - 39998/9995kbps - Sky Q Hub

Edited by mlmclaren (Sun 03-Jul-16 00:21:56)

Print Thread

Jump to