General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User niddnet
(newbie) Tue 05-Jul-16 12:07:53
Print Post

Finding Cabinet of Previous Line

[link to this post]

Hi all

We're looking at having a backup DSL line installed at our business. We're situated on a business park, and the only ISP which provides VDSL only have wayleave (or whatever) with BT to provide to a certain number of cabs on the park.

We don't have any live copper here (we have ISDN30 over fibre and an existing 10MBit leased line) - but previously, before we took occupation of the building, there were a number of BT copper circuits (the NTEs still exist, but are, as expected, dead).

What I want to know is - is there any way to find out which cabinet will serve our building, for sure, based on the "dead" circuit numbers? There were NTEs for standard phones, some labelled as 'DSL' or 'Broadband' and the pre-requisite ISDN2e NTEs as well.

(actually there were lots of other very old NTEs too, but all fibre backhaul, rather than copper).

The park is THORP ARCH TRADING ESTATE, WETHERBY - I believe the actual nearest exchange is MYBOS - our postcode here is LS23 7FW. I can provide the old and disconnected phone numbers if it helps.

Thanks for your help.

PS - not expecting the usual checkers to show anything other than we might get a drip-feed of standard DSL, as the fast VDSL service is a private offering with permission to jumper onto BT cabinets.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 05-Jul-16 12:27:29
Print Post

Re: Finding Cabinet of Previous Line

[re: niddnet] [link to this post]

If you use the address option of this checker it should tell you the cabinet number above the estimate table. Do not use the postcode option!

If it doesn't recognise the address you give it, still in the address option, (not the postcode option), enter just your postcode. That gives a dropdown list of all the addresses and you should be able to pick up yours.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jul-16 13:38:05
Print Post

Looking like cab 8
I guessing this is the OLO cab providing VDSL

Edited by Ribble (Tue 05-Jul-16 13:44:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User niddnet
(newbie) Tue 05-Jul-16 13:51:05
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks all,

Robertos: We are the whole postcode (it's quite a big site) - so the address checker matches us directly by postcode with nothing else entered in the checker. It then happily tells me:

"Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker."

Ribble - where did you find Cab 8? My understanding is that there are 2 DSLAM cabs - sods law will dictate our copper will go to a cab which is NOT serviced by either.

Language: what's "OLO"? Not an acronym I've come across.

When we get the installation (or probably, reconnection) of copper - do we have any recourse at all in asking them to connect us to a particular cabinet? (to be honest, I'm not sure it'll be geographically possible, due to distance)

Let me know if you'd like any previous numbers - though they may even have been re-issued so might be a red herring.

As ever, your help is very much appreciated.

R.
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Tue 05-Jul-16 14:37:52
Print Post

Other Licenced Operator
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 05-Jul-16 14:43:50
Print Post

Could you tell us the ISP please?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jul-16 15:10:10
Print Post

Openreach do not have a DSLAM cabinet connected to cab 8, only the Other licenced operator . The actual copper cab 8 is a little way down the road, and cab 9 is further along the other way
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Tue 05-Jul-16 16:28:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Googling the business park name and finding its website, then looking at News, the Spring 2013 and Spring 2014 issues of the estate newsletter states the OLO broadband provider as York Data Services.

Probably best for the OP to give them a call as they should know the properties they can serve. Their website states "please call or email us to check you are in a location we can provide to and to get an order form".

Edited by olicuk (Tue 05-Jul-16 16:29:30)

Standard User B31
(member) Tue 05-Jul-16 18:52:10
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

ooh, cheers for that, I wondered what that meant.

I've noticed it on the side of a building in Birmingham!

BT ADSL customer getting 4.1 Mbps (0.9 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not a BDUK area. Hoping the council will let VM in-fill!
Standard User niddnet
(newbie) Wed 06-Jul-16 08:43:04
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

All,

Already in long discussions with YDS - actually they're a really helpful bunch...

What I need (or at least, hope) to ascertain, is whether or not when we connect our BT line, if it will connect to the correct cab / PCP which is served by their OLO DSLAM.

Also would like to know if I will be able to ask BT that they connect us to a specific cab - or if there's any way we can request it once the order is put in.

Already clear on the 'who' and 'how' - but if our copper ends up in a box that's NOT served by YDS' (OLO) gear, then I have a big pile of not-much-internets.

Very worst case, I've learned a new acronym.. "OLO".

As an aside, I think "OLO" is also what Megamind says when he answers his phone in the film. Sorry - it's been a long day which is just about starting again - I'm not delirious, honest!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to