General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-16 00:01:27
Print Post

Is this correct of just another fob off

[link to this post]

Hey all

I just received an email from openreach stating the following:

Hello Paul

I have looked into the project to provide FTTP.

There is final light loss testing planned for week commencing 11th July to make sure connectivity will reach throughout the fibre network.

The ready for Service date to Cps is 20th July

Thanks

Fibre Enquiries team

Does all this sound correct or is it another one of their made up delay tactics.

The above along with strangely our council doing the following 7 lots of jobs on BT's chambers on 1st July to 7th July along the main road very near us.
DUCT CLEANING AND REPAIRS, PULL THROUGH NEW FIBRE

I am hoping its true and that those dates are actual dates and this its finally going to happen after 4.5 years battle to get to go live.

In the past I have got dates that came and went but I was always only told that there is still some work to be done and nothing precise was mentioned.

But where here they have mentioned that they are doing the final light loss test on the fibre, and me being from an engineering background, this does sound feasible, but at the same time I have my doubts due to we are only 2.5 to 3km from our exchange so there shouldn't really be an issues in that short distance.

Maybe its a test that they do no matter how long the distance.

Thanks

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Jul-16 00:06:23
Print Post

Re: Is this correct of just another fob off

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
The above along with strangely our council doing the following 7 lots of jobs on BT's chambers on 1st July to 7th July along the main road very near us.

I am hoping its true and that those dates are actual dates and this its finally going to happen after 4.5 years battle to get to go live.
That's the council's list of roadworks in their area. In this case Openreach doing those 7. Not the council.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-16 00:42:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hey Rob

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

That's the council's list of roadworks in their area. In this case Openreach doing those 7. Not the council.
I am aware of that, but there is no listing of BT anywhere in the information, not even a communication phone icon is shown.

Take a look of at this >> image <<, I have highlighted the 7 jobs and pasted the full job information on the right side, those phone icons you can see are for Virgin Media.

The rest of the jobs on there that are shown are for the resurfacing of the road and pavement etc.

As you can see there is no mention of BT in that job.
Whenever I see normal fibre work I have always seen the communication (phone) icon where as here you don't see it.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Jul-16 00:53:19
Print Post

Highly unlikely that council workmen will be cleaning and repairing Openreach ducts and pulling fibre through. (Duct tubing to blow fibre through?)

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-16 01:18:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Highly unlikely that council workmen will be cleaning and repairing Openreach ducts and pulling fibre through. (Duct tubing to blow fibre through?)
Well that's what I thought, but where our FTTP issue has been on going since 2011 - 2012 where we have always been told that our fibre hardware isn't ready yet, even though there was a home 4 doors from me that is using our fibre hardware for their FTTP install and I think our local MP didn't seem that happy about it at the time.

Its only recently that I sent emails to my local MP, BT, Openreach Fibre Enquires and also the CEO of openreach with photo evidence that our hardware is live and asked what the delay was in them flicking the switch on they system to say we can order FTTP, then a few weeks later all this.

I was thinking maybe BT was a bit bogged down with work and my MP got our council to do the unblocking of BT ducts etc due to they are re-doing all the roads and pavements in the area anyway and maybe there will be BT work added to roadworks one that cleaning, repair and unblocking work has completed.

Also whenever there is work to be done for BT / Openreach most of the time its not Openreach that do the actual work.
Like for example BT needed to remove an old small chamber down the road and replace it with a new generic one, and that work was done by 3rd part builders, I did post pictures about it, so maybe where our council is doing work in our area they are also getting them to that that as well.

But yeah, still not sure though, its till strange that there is no mention of BT or Openreach in those jobs.

Blowing down the fibre and splicing it, then yeah, I would assum it would be BT Openreach or sub contractor to do that.

Paul
Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Wed 06-Jul-16 05:51:12
Print Post

Yes, but permission has been granted for the stated reason. It's not something that utilities can change on a whim. As it says, someone, whether employed by the council or OR is doing precisely what it says. Clearing ducts for fibre.

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Wed 06-Jul-16 07:56:59
Print Post

But where here they have mentioned that they are doing the final light loss test on the fibre, and me being from an engineering background, this does sound feasible, but at the same time I have my doubts due to we are only 2.5 to 3km from our exchange so there shouldn't really be an issues in that short distance.

Things can go wrong during deployment. There was a FTTC cab in my area that was delayed because the fibre failed a light loss test and it can't have been more than a kilometer or so from the exchange.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-16 08:09:44
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:

Things can go wrong during deployment. There was a FTTC cab in my area that was delayed because the fibre failed a light loss test and it can't have been more than a kilometer or so from the exchange.
I understand all that, but there is a home 4 doors from us already using our phone pole and our FTTP hardware and they have had no issues with it, and they are the only ones on our hardware that was / is able to order fibre.

So that test shouldn't really be needed in our case due to a home already using the FTTP, TBH I think they might be using this test to actually see if our FTTP hardware is in fact live, and that they are ignoring the fact that there is a home already using the hardware.

So if they need to run this test they can, it will only prove that I was right and have been since 2011 - 2012 when I originally said it was all completed and live.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-16 08:34:53
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 69bertie:
Yes, but permission has been granted for the stated reason. It's not something that utilities can change on a whim. As it says, someone, whether employed by the council or OR is doing precisely what it says. Clearing ducts for fibre.
I am a bit confused, not had much sleep, but are you agreeing with me when I said its the council doing the work possibly for BT?

It was just that I have never seen a council do work for BT before, I have seen work listed as BT with a BT reference number and that job being done by builders (3rd party contractors), but this work has our councils reference number listed for the jobs.

Paul
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Wed 06-Jul-16 10:16:53
Print Post

Maybe the council doing the clearing and OpenReach to pull fibres?

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to