General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Leggie
(member) Fri 08-Jul-16 18:10:07
Print Post

Is data base wrong? Will it improve?

[link to this post]

Not been here for a long time so its good to see you are still so active. Sorry for low level of my post but I'm not very technical and thought it best to give as much detail as possible. Hope you can help me this time. I've got "standard" broadband from BT and getting up to 3.5mb which is top end of their suggested speed capability indicating no current line problems?

Having previously had 40mb fibre from Sky before I moved house I have been checking my new house on Openreach Superfast Broadband availability checker almost daily for the last few months. (Sad I know). My Exchange is Hartley Witney, and the Cabinet is no 6 about 100-200 yards from my house.

Today the status changed to "Accepting Orders" so I started to investigate suppliers. PlusNet, Sky and BT all quote possible speed capability of 5-9mb which is very low compared to my expectations.

This is apparently called Faster Broadband (at least by BT) and is offered as a product when BT Wholesale database reports less than 15mb capability. Product such as Infinity cannot be offered unless database reports higher capability apparently.

Do you think this is it or as the cabinet is newly enabled will things improve over time? Dosnt seem to be a line problem or distance issue so are there any other routes to investigate why product like Infinity is not being offered. Thanks in advance. John
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-16 18:43:46
Print Post

Re: Is data base wrong? Will it improve?

[re: Leggie] [link to this post]

What does the DSL checker say for your line? www.dslchecker.bt.com
Use the full address if you haven't got a phone number for it, not the postcode checker.
Try the neighbouring lines too if there are any.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:01:26
Print Post

Are your sure the cabinet that you say is 200 yards away is your cabinet?

As far as I can see this is where cabinet 6 is, sadly google hasn't been there since mid 2009 so you won't see any fibre cabinets there.

And homes near this area are down as 70 to 80Mbps.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:03:09
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I thought it was here

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User Leggie
(member) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:06:54
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Cabinet 6 in The Hurst, Winchfield
Standard User Leggie
(member) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:11:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's the one BB
Standard User Leggie
(member) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:13:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What does the DSL checker say for your line?

Cant seem to find how to copy screen shot but says same type of number range 5-9mb ish,
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:13:44
Print Post

Re: Is data base wrong? Will it improve? *DELETED*

Post deleted by BatBoy
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:28:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I thought it was here
Hmm, strange, due to the one I linked to is in the correct locations for this address: 5 STATION HILL, WINCHFIELD, HOOK, RG27 8BX
So mine seems for possible.

The location for yours doesn't match the roads close to it like The Hurst etc.

Paul
Standard User Leggie
(member) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:30:23
Print Post

Re: Is data base wrong? Will it improve? *DELETED*

VDSL Range A (Clean) High 9.3 Low 5.8
VDSL Range B (Impacted) Hgh 9.3 Low 3.1

So I'm presuming this is the same as 5-9mb being quoted as likely speed. SamKnows reports the same numbers.

Given close Cabinet distance and no apparent line problems my question is why so low speeds and will it change over time after recently activated cabinet becomes more used. Tested a couple of other local phone numbers and similar projections or less.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to