General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jayteepics
(regular) Fri 08-Jul-16 20:27:20
Print Post

No offer of an out yet from Plusnet contract

[link to this post]

Not sure if the change to T&C's at Plusnet affects me, however dreaming that it may be a possibility I have started looking at better alternatives...
1) I'm on a 40/2 deal with PN including phone and extras such as anytime calls though TBH we make so few calls it may be a waste of money, however since taking this deal, I have started to exploit Cloud storage, Onedrive and iCloud.
2) In pursuit of a better deal both price and UP speed I note many other subscribers to PNet are on much higher upload speeds.

I see FREE broadband, including Anytime calls from SSE for 18 months and cheaper line rental pricing too, BUT then see on here lots of posts regarding Daisy backbone which ends up with such contention at periods of the day which tells me that I must not look the gift horse in the mouth

Any advice regarding getting better upload speed; getting more for my buck; about becoming a possible SSE lemming and going from poor/good to over the contention cliff would be very much appreciated, all alternatives will be welcome.
With fibre broadband, line rental, anytime calls and caller Id display I am paying just a tad under £40 squids p. month

Many thanks for any guidance
Jamie
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Fri 08-Jul-16 21:24:14
Print Post

Re: No offer of an out yet from Plusnet contract

[re: jayteepics] [link to this post]

I'm still looking at SSE, especially now some people are reporting things are on the up, still quite cautious though.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User dparr59
(committed) Fri 08-Jul-16 22:13:58
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

The email i received from plusnet mentions that my upload speed would go from 20Mb to 9.4Mb

we’re increasing the download speed limit of your fibre broadband from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb‡, which means you might find your connection gets faster
We’re also making some changes to the maximum upload speed from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb. These changes are happening on 1st August.

When i was on Fibre Extra 80/20 : My best speed up is 11Mb and down was 65Mb that was on brand new cabinet.within the 2 weeks cooling off period , The download dropped to 55Mb, so i changed down to the 40/20 product

If your going to get a speed increase both ways i wonder because of that you may not receive a email ?

PLUSNET 40 Meg

Edited by dparr59 (Fri 08-Jul-16 22:21:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User georgelnx
(regular) Fri 08-Jul-16 22:47:41
Print Post

All Plusnet phone customers will be getting an email by the end of July informing them that the price is going up for line rental on the 1st September 2016.
So once you get that email, within 30 days inform Plusnet that you wish to leave because of the price rise and that they need to remove any exit charges on your account. Then switch to your chosen ISP.
The timescales to do this are given in the email as well.

Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sat 09-Jul-16 07:01:38
Print Post

[re: dparr59] [link to this post]

I think you meant this reply for the OP

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User jayteepics
(regular) Sat 09-Jul-16 11:08:20
Print Post

[re: dparr59] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dparr59:
The email i received from plusnet mentions that my upload speed would go from 20Mb to 9.4Mb

we’re increasing the download speed limit of your fibre broadband from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb‡, which means you might find your connection gets faster
We’re also making some changes to the maximum upload speed from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb. These changes are happening on 1st August.

When i was on Fibre Extra 80/20 : My best speed up is 11Mb and down was 65Mb that was on brand new cabinet.within the 2 weeks cooling off period , The download dropped to 55Mb, so i changed down to the 40/20 product

If your going to get a speed increase both ways i wonder because of that you may not receive a email ?

Yes this did occur to me. So will the price increase alone not give me the right to cancel then?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Jul-16 11:41:23
Print Post

You aren't going to get a speed increase. The changes for you are:

- line rental rising by £1;
- Anytime calls rising by 50p;
- calls to landlines outside your plan rise steeply;
- mobile call charges fall slightly.

If you are outside a minimum term on the phone service you can move it anyway. If your FTTC is within a minimum term then that depends on what Plusnet say in the email. If you get an email just for the phone charges.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sat 09-Jul-16 11:42:19
Print Post

I thought it would mean you could leave with no charge but it is best to chat/call support.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jul-16 14:28:44
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

It does.

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - BT Smart Hub
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Super Hub 2ac
SkyFibre - 39998/9995kbps - Sky Q Hub
Standard User jayteepics
(regular) Fri 15-Jul-16 21:15:22
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Just got my email. No mention of BB speeds at all so the comments above seem to be true that I will be stuck with the slow Up speed I get now which is about 1.85 Mbps. The email however does say that I can terminate my contract early without penalty.

So SSE and Daisy is possible. Therefor I was wondering if peeps on here think that the SSE spurt in growing subscribers will mean that the Daisy (/SSE) backbone will have to man up to the speeds being offered by SSE or is this a pipe-dream?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to