General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Tue 12-Jul-16 08:50:17
Print Post

FTTC, is this independent of phone provider?

[link to this post]

Hi

Moving house and just checking options. If I sign up for just a phone line, for example via the Post Office, does this restrict who I can get FTTC from? Or does it not matter who provides the actual 'phoneline' and I'm free to get FTTC from all the normal places?

Regards

Phil
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Jul-16 09:12:08
Print Post

Re: FTTC, is this independent of phone provider?

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

it does restrict you.

In terms of the technical connection it is pure Openreach between you and the FTTC exchange. So in theory any FTTC supplier. In practice things are very different.

Basically there is no difference in ISPs' policies between FTTC and ADSLx. Sky and TalkTalk require you to have line rental from them if you want their FTTC. So do BT in all their advertising, though they do have a hidden Solus product line which does cater for your line not being with them, and I think includes FTTC.

Plusnet only do deals on bundled line and broadband, but would allow you to have FTTC on a Post Office line. At full price plus £3 I think, it used to be plus £2.50, and with a setup fee.

With smaller ISPs it depends which one and which FTTC product you choose from them.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 12-Jul-16 09:13:49)

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Tue 12-Jul-16 09:23:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

Many thanks for the info. So if for example I sign up to the Post Office to get a phone line, I could then take out FTTC with, for example, Zen, although Zen do charge more per month if the phone line is not with them.

In other words, when I sign up for FTTC, and a phone number is required to check the line, having a Post Office supplied phone number works just the same as if it were BT?

Regards

Phil

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Jul-16 09:37:10
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

Tricky. But I think so.

Do you use the landline phone a lot, or only a little. I use Pulse8 for my line. (That link defaults to Business so click the Home tab). £13pm + £1pm for Caller Display. My call charges are less than 50p per month.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Tue 12-Jul-16 09:50:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks for the link, although they charge £79.50 for a new line and the house doesn't have a phone line, well it does, but not been used for some years and BT are saying it needs a new line, presumably needs connecting somewhere.

With the Post Office it is around the same price if paying a year upfront but no new line charge.

I'll drop Zen an email to see what they say.

Regards

Phil
  Print Thread

Jump to