General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User plankton
(regular) Fri 15-Jul-16 00:56:07
Print Post

How does it work moving to a new all-in-one cabinet?

[link to this post]

Thanks to Ribble and Openreach engineers outside my house, I know what's going on with my FTTC broadband. I've a new question though, that I'm sure the combined wisdom of this forum will have the answer to.

I'm connected to FTTC cab2 1200m away giving me 13/1. A new cabinet cab9 has popped up in front of house an all in one huawei. The copper has been looped through it and it's powered, with fibre being plugged in sometime soon.

On the BT Wholesale Checker they have changed the cabinets over, so now anyone in my postcode gets "served by cabinet 9" with no option for VDSL yet), that is anyone who hasn't yet got FTTC. The properties that have VDSL get the "Served By Cab2" and the VDSL option. This all makes sense as I guess they don't want orders for cab 2 when 9(which is 1200m nearer for everyone) is a few weeks from taking orders.

So my question is this, there are around 11 households signed up to VDSL that are currently getting from Cabinet 2 but they are now included in the Cabinet 9 footprint. Will BTOR unjumper our VDSL on cabinet 2 and connect us to the new Cabinet as part of it's commissioning process, or is this something We'll have to get done via Sky, talk talk, BT etc????
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Jul-16 13:39:14
Print Post

Re: How does it work moving to a new all-in-one cabinet?

[re: plankton] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by plankton:
So my question is this, there are around 11 households signed up to VDSL that are currently getting from Cabinet 2 but they are now included in the Cabinet 9 footprint. Will BTOR unjumper our VDSL on cabinet 2 and connect us to the new Cabinet as part of it's commissioning process, or is this something We'll have to get done via Sky, talk talk, BT etc????

I am not 100% sure here, but I am guessing that they will just disconnect your copper cables that route to cabinet 2 and either connect it to the new cabinet 9 or they would just install new copper cables from your chamber by your phone pole (if you have a phone pole) to cabinet 9.
I am also guessing they would then tell their system that your FTTC connection is now on cabinet 9 and I assume that would be it.

But there is probably more to it that that tongue

Paul
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jul-16 13:46:28
Print Post

Someone went through this precise thing with one of the first all-in-ones in Northern Ireland ... but something funny happened that meant the original service slowed even further, and his ISP (talk talk) was unable to fix anything whatsoever - neither restoring the original FTTC service nor shifting service onto the AIO.

IIRC, he moved to AAISP where things were sorted very rapidly.

Hopefully things are a bit more organised nowadays.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User plankton
(regular) Fri 15-Jul-16 14:45:44
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I'm hoping that it is that simple! I've two lines with VDSL one BT one Talk-Talk, So I'm very much hoping that it is all dealt with via Openreach taking this cabinet to live, rather than 100's of calls to India and the Philippines!
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Jul-16 15:38:13
Print Post

If your lines are part of the network rearrangement then I would hope Openreach would sort out the reconnection of VDSL in the new cabinet. There is plenty of scope for things to go wrong
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Jul-16 19:44:23
Print Post

There is also plenty of scope for things to go right.

IanD
Standard User plankton
(regular) Fri 15-Jul-16 21:04:01
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for the spread of views. My half empty glass is half full! I'll pray to the god of the information superhighway that BTOR just switch us over and I'll get to avoid chatting for hours to well meaning folks in Bangalore and Manilla, when what I really need is a bloke in van here.

Thanks!

13 Down 1 Up hoping to report back in a few weeks as 80 Down and 20 up !
Standard User dadhailz
(newbie) Wed 07-Dec-16 14:05:54
Print Post

HI Plankton - Can you tell us what happened eventually? I am in the exact same situation, only my current VDSL speed is 8 down and 1 up. An AIO box has excitingly appeared about 50 yds from my house -- so I have great hopes, whcih I hope arent about to get dashed when you tell us the reality!
Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Wed 07-Dec-16 14:35:53
Print Post

[re: dadhailz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dadhailz:
HI Plankton - Can you tell us what happened eventually? I am in the exact same situation, only my current VDSL speed is 8 down and 1 up. An AIO box has excitingly appeared about 50 yds from my house -- so I have great hopes, whcih I hope arent about to get dashed when you tell us the reality!

I had an AIO cabinet 'go live' in October, but the migration didn't actually follow until last week. Speeds have gone from 16/1.5 to 68/20.

What does the BT Address Checker show for your line? Try both phone number and address, as I got different results for both.

Edited by Toonshorty (Wed 07-Dec-16 14:36:44)

Standard User dadhailz
(newbie) Wed 07-Dec-16 14:57:45
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. I guess that my optimism is getting ahead of itself then ! The AIO box has only just been installed, and although the power and copper cables have been connected, I dont think that they have linked in the fibre yet. We were first connected to Fibre two years ago, but since then I have watched the speed steadily drop from 28 Mbs down to its current glorious best of 8 Mbs.as more and more people have been connected. Our current cabinet is about 1km away - and is now full. I am hoping that the new AIO will provide the answer - but I guess that all I can do is wait patiently and it looks like it will be well into 2017 if we have the same sort of timing as you)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to