General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User savi
(newbie) Fri 15-Jul-16 17:08:23
Print Post

SSE FTTC install and TG589vac bridging

[link to this post]

Having benefited from reports on here that SSE could offer me a static IP I thought I’d give some feedback on my install and maybe help someone else looking at the cheaper end of the FTTC market.

With FTTC having been imminent in my Somerset village for ages, I’d had my eye on FTTC options since the start of the year when I came out of contract with Plusnet. While I’m not a heavy user myself, I do host my own application servers so my “wish” list probably rates static IP and upload speeds higher than some others.

As a 13+ year Plusnet ADSL customer I was disappointed last year when they downgraded their 40/20 package to 40/2 and, as I’d feared, their anti-churn department wasn’t able to offer me anything competitive with SSE’s £25 FTTC package (cost incl. caller ID).

As others have mentioned, the switch over appears to include a two week cooling off period. This means over a month is required to transfer the line. I was phoned after the first two week period to book in my “engineer” visit (read Openreach Engineer) on the afternoon of the transfer date. Shortly after this call a Technicolor TG589vac turned up in the post.

On the day of transfer my Plusnet ADSL went dead first thing and I was home by midday to turn off all my equipment and plug the new one in (didn’t turn it on). At 13:00 I got a call from the OR guy saying he’d be about ½ hour but it was actually about an hour before he arrived. This was fine as he’d obviously been to the cab first.

Once at the house he plugged testing equipment into the test socket. I’d already fitted a vDSL interstitial myself in the past so I don’t know if he would have done this if I hadn’t had one? He then struggled to get any signal on his mobile phone to initiate the tests – finally achieving it by hanging out the window (this is fairly standard here).

I wasn’t able to wrangle an openreach modem out of him unfortunately as he only has one now for debugging tasks. He believed ISP all-in-ones will be the only option going forward.

His line stats suggested a best case scenario of 32Mbps so it’s probable the 80/20 - 40/20 profiles wouldn’t have achieved any better upload speed. The backhaul is Daisy wholesale and while my initial single thread speed tests were only around 5Mbps (as someone else here has reported?) they have since improved to > 25 Mbps.

The day after go-live I raised a ticket on their online system in order to request a static IP. 1 week later and without any response (although my IP had remained static in this time) I phoned the call centre and they were able to sort me a static IP over the phone (thanks Mike). This change seemed to cause some routing issues until I was able to get home and reconfigure my router to suit. I would suggest you have to phone them currently rather than relying on their online system.

I’m indifferent regarding the supplied hardware as I run my own pfSense router. But it was easy enough to switch into bridge mode for a while to replace my old Netgear DM111P adsl bridge. I’ve since (about 7 days in) switched to an Openreach HG612 3b. But that has only managed to squeeze maybe 1 or 2 Mbps extra from my line at most (it reports 24.2dB of line attenuation). I’ll probably give the TG589 a go as a dual band WAP for a while, given it’s supposed to be 1300ac with beam-forming.

For anyone having issues with the router, note it takes a long old time to boot (My firmware is currently lime 15.2). It comes pre-configured with a default config@ssebb.co.uk username. This allows it to make an initial connection and download your actual username and password. There doesn’t seem to be a way to get at the password in the router. Downloading the config to a .bin file I was unable to figure it out.

However, my router box included a piece of paper with a nnnnnnnnn-energy@ssebb.co.uk username/password for a SSE Netintelligence product and I found this was also my PPP login details.

I can’t think of anything else worth adding, hopefully some of this might be useful for someone else out there considering the cheaper end of FTTC…
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Fri 15-Jul-16 19:40:44
Print Post

Re: SSE FTTC install and TG589vac bridging

[re: savi] [link to this post]

I am one of the ones that had problems with the speed. That said, things appear to have improved considerably over the last week with minimal decrease over peak period. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over the weekend.

I was given my password by SSE customer service, although it was provided so I could do tap3 testing and then be able to log back in again. Ask them, they may be helpful smile

Mark

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Sat 16-Jul-16 13:42:11
Print Post

I have a TG589vn - it's extremely slow to do anything thru the web interface.
Following a suggestion on this forum, I found that you could save the config to a named file (text), edit it, and then load the new version. However the password had to be changed via the web interface.
It has now been replaced by a cheap and cheerful TP-LINK W9970 (N300), which is a lot easier to set up and change.
HTH

Derek

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User savi
(newbie) Sun 17-Jul-16 21:00:22
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

I haven't come across the TG589vn myself but I've meddled with plenty of other dire ISP Technicolour devices so I feel your pain. The TG589vac seems to be OK, although downloading the config does appear to be a binary file rather than text.

I've now I got it running as a dual band WAP and it doesn't seem to need rebooting for every config change like a old Buffalo N300 I had before. Will see how it fares...
Standard User ChuckVader
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-16 20:08:47
Print Post

Ok I have just received my Router TG589AC and have to wait till the 2nd Aug for activation but in the meantime I wanted to setup my router to ensure it was setup correctly for my network. IP range, switch off wireless etc. Also due to the way I have it setup I was going to swap my existing router out and plumb it in, it should in theory work.

However I can't seem to log on as an admin.

Using the username admin (and variants with capital A or administrator) and the various codes including the Access Key as the password I can't log on.

Anybody got any ideas?

Does it have to connect for the 1st to get a config file and this includes the router default password?
Standard User ChuckVader
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-16 20:14:17
Print Post

[re: ChuckVader] [link to this post]

Doh,

of course I tried admin and admin before several times....

Just tried it out of pure frustration in IE and it worked this time. Oh well ....
Standard User savi
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-16 20:55:15
Print Post

It seems to reboot on that initial connection to SSE (when it configures your own username) - probably wouldn't reconfigure your internal configurations though? If you have your username and password for the security product as I did, then you could probably pre-configure those to save it doing it's own initial setup thing completely?

If it doesn't work then factory reset puts it back to the config user connection again...
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Fri 22-Jul-16 07:38:02
Print Post

I've had trouble with a couple of products when using FF to logon - sometimes getting a message about redirecting a page (although apparently still on the same). Could this be the thing?

Derek
Standard User weezul
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 11:25:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by savi:
However, my router box included a piece of paper with a nnnnnnnnn-energy@ssebb.co.uk username/password for a SSE Netintelligence product and I found this was also my PPP login details.

I can’t think of anything else worth adding, hopefully some of this might be useful for someone else out there considering the cheaper end of FTTC…

Thanks for this!

I have just moved from plusnet to SSE. I have my own router, and an Openreach modem on the wall, which has a ETHERNET out to the router. This router seems to want the smaller phone jack coming from an openreach wall box. Do you know if this router will work with the signal coming from openreach modem into the red WAN port rather than the yellow DSL port?

I've got until monday morning to figure this out.

Also, do I need to run the main router the first time to register my username and password so I can use PPPoE on my actual router? I'd rather just wait until monday, put my new username and pass into my current router and just carry on :/

Sorry for the questions, you seem clued up!
Thanks
Standard User savi
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 11:55:13
Print Post

[re: weezul] [link to this post]

Hi weezul,

the SSE item is a combined modem/router all in 1.

It can replace both your Openreach modem and router using the small RJ-11 grey port you've noticed.

OR it could replace just your openreach modem by using the rj-11 socket and being switched into bridge mode.

OR it could replace your router and work as pppoe router using the red ethernet port to your current openreach modem.

OR (as I now have it) it can be set up as just a dual band wireless access point inside your network.

Is this getting confusing - sorry????

If you are happy with your own hardware setup as it stands, you might want to just update your current router settings to your new nnnnnnnnn-energy@ssebb.co.uk username/password if you have that?

As for clued up - well, I wouldn't go that far - the more you know, the less you understand and all that!!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to