General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Sun 06-Nov-16 00:21:24
Print Post

Re: FTTC Over Subscribed

[re: bapesta786] [link to this post]

Re-visiting this as I've now been here almost three months and there still seems to be a lack of information as to an upgrade to cabinet 36 or indeed an additional cabinet install.

I've emailed Openreach but they couldn't tell me if or when a new cabinet will be installed.

There must be close to 200 homes that can't get access to fibre here, despite it being available in the area.

Hoping that there maybe someone on the forum with the information at hand ?

Postcode is G72 6PZ.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 06-Nov-16 13:41:53
Print Post

[re: welshy1812] [link to this post]

lets make some assumptions

cab gets decisioned in 2011/2012/2013 for fibre either by a Commercial or BDUk p[rogramme based on number of premses at that time

2014/2015 developer asks for 200 copper lines (not fibre) which get put on the nearest cab or a new copper cab gets built in this case they got built on the fibre enabled c ab determined before the new build was there

not sure how that Extremely poor from Openreach in my opinion, the area is rapidly expanding and there are lots of young families, fibre is an essential utility these days,

actually its a the developers responsibility to ensure that the homes they bulld and hope they are fibre enabled as a high percentage currently being moved into around the country will not be as only asked for copper -- which the infrastructure providers pay the developers to install
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Sun 06-Nov-16 15:52:09
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gazzyk1ns:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That would nicely screw up the Telephone Book.

I have a lot of respect for RobertoS, a long-time poster who is very knowledgeable. So there is nothing personal attached to the following comment.

Who uses the phone book these days? How many strangers do you want to look up via surname and have a chat with? If they are someone belonging to an organisation who you would like to arrange to give a talk, then surely the internet is a better source of reference than the ever-more-skinny (which iis 70% adverts) phone book?

Just thinking aloud. And of course this doesn't invalidate your original point.

Regardless of the phone book....

If I were moving out, I'd cease my line. I would not leave a line in my name on the agreement that the new occupier would pay the bill, they promise.

Next thing would be for them to run up a massive phone bill and not pay (I'm liable) or do something illegal on the internet (I'm the subscriber, hassle for me to deal with).

It's a non starter!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sun 06-Nov-16 18:21:03
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that you succumbed to that scenario, but I now see how it would be a difficult thing to get around. I also wasn't considering Directory Enquiries.

It was a bad post, and I am sorry.
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 01:07:18
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
lets make some assumptions

cab gets decisioned in 2011/2012/2013 for fibre either by a Commercial or BDUk p[rogramme based on number of premses at that time

2014/2015 developer asks for 200 copper lines (not fibre) which get put on the nearest cab or a new copper cab gets built in this case they got built on the fibre enabled c ab determined before the new build was there

not sure how that Extremely poor from Openreach in my opinion, the area is rapidly expanding and there are lots of young families, fibre is an essential utility these days,

actually its a the developers responsibility to ensure that the homes they bulld and hope they are fibre enabled as a high percentage currently being moved into around the country will not be as only asked for copper -- which the infrastructure providers pay the developers to install
[/quote]

I'm not really sure what your point is to be honest, as far back as 2010 it was planned that there would be 1500 homes here and before the cabinet was stood in 2014 there were easily in excess of 300 houses that would connect to cabinet 36.

Anyway, it's irrelevant as I'm not here to argue about Openreach, all I want to know is what the plans are for further FTTC provision for the hundreds of households who don't have access.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Nov-16 03:04:18
Print Post

Anyway, it's irrelevant as I'm not here to argue about Openreach, all I want to know is what the plans are for further FTTC provision for the hundreds of households who don't have access.
You should be treated no different from any other subscriber that is unable to get an FTTC connection. It's not for BT to solve but rather the developer. BT's got a big job still to do to enable many thousands of customers who've been waiting a very long time rather than step in to cover the back of a negligent developer. As for plans, you could look at a community funding solution rather than relying on the largesse of others which is what we had to do to get an FTTC solution for our 75 25+ year old properties in Lambeth, London.
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 23:59:11
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
You should be treated no different from any other subscriber that is unable to get an FTTC connection. It's not for BT to solve but rather the developer. BT's got a big job still to do to enable many thousands of customers who've been waiting a very long time rather than step in to cover the back of a negligent developer. As for plans, you could look at a community funding solution rather than relying on the largesse of others which is what we had to do to get an FTTC solution for our 75 25+ year old properties in Lambeth, London.

I don't recall saying that I should be treated any differently and it has nothing to do with BT.

The first houses built here are now around 10 years old but when Openreach installed the cabinet there were many more houses here than could be served by it, I think that is pretty short sighted given the area isn't cheap to buy in and likely that uptake would be strong.

Anyway, I will say it again, all I'm looking for is a bit of information, rough dates perhaps of when another cabinet will be installed. Also, saying that I am relying on the largesse of others is a bit out of order, I'm hardly on my own demanding that it be installed, merely seeking information of when further provision will be made available.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Nov-16 05:07:42
Print Post

merely seeking information of when further provision will be made available.
Prepare yourself for never and then you won't be disappointed. There are many hundreds of thousands in the queue and you will have to wait your turn. Not helpful I know but hopefully someone at BT will feel that upgrading your cabinet is an economic proposition and that your wait won't be too long but don't think that because you are demanding (your word) something that others see it in the same light..
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:50:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by welshy1812:
I don't recall saying that I should be treated any differently and it has nothing to do with BT.

The first houses built here are now around 10 years old but when Openreach installed the cabinet there were many more houses here than could be served by it, I think that is pretty short sighted given the area isn't cheap to buy in and likely that uptake would be strong.

Anyway, I will say it again, all I'm looking for is a bit of information, rough dates perhaps of when another cabinet will be installed. Also, saying that I am relying on the largesse of others is a bit out of order, I'm hardly on my own demanding that it be installed, merely seeking information of when further provision will be made available.

A few weeks ago, I stopped the car at Cabinet 36 and spoke to the Openreach engineer that was there. He wasn't able to give a concrete date. Not even an estimate tbh, but he did say that they had just done a site survey. That was probably around 8 weeks ago.

Also speaking to a few of the people in the area - they advised that someone who has access to cabinet information etc is a member of the local residents Facebook page and rumours are Jan/Feb for a new cabinet, or cabinet upgrade.

My 2 neighbours have 76MB, while I have 2MB.
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 17:48:56
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
merely seeking information of when further provision will be made available.
Prepare yourself for never and then you won't be disappointed. There are many hundreds of thousands in the queue and you will have to wait your turn. Not helpful I know but hopefully someone at BT will feel that upgrading your cabinet is an economic proposition and that your wait won't be too long but don't think that because you are demanding (your word) something that others see it in the same light..

I was making the point that I wasn't demanding it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to