General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 17:59:14
Print Post

Re: FTTC Over Subscribed

[re: bapesta786] [link to this post]

Thanks for the update, guess it sounds like there is at least something happening although probably still a long way off.

I've seen the posts on the Facebook page but have been taking them with a pinch of salt.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 11:07:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Morning Andrew

Given the subject, I wonder if BT/OR tries to "match" the full potential capacity of FTTCs to the existing PCPs?

In the case of my local pair, by using the Postcodes associated with the local PCP, 100% for the number of premises where the Postcode is fully covered; and 50% for the partially-covered Postcodes, I worked out that the PCP probably covered about 300 premises/lines.

Later, I came across a stated figure of 287, so a fairly good correlation.

------

The FTTC is a Huawei which can take 288 lines, in the right-hand side when fully stocked; but probably still limited to 96, when I observed a second group of 48 Filter Links being added, to the multi-socket back plane in the right-hand-side above the multi-wire cable links to the PCP.; and probably around 70 to 75 actual upgraded lines, judging by the BT/OR or Kelly visits I have observed since.

It appears to have a full set of (vertical) cards in the left-hand side, above the back-up batteries, mains charger PSU etc, ie no obviously empty "card" slots.

------

So does anyone know how BT/OR assess the size of FTTC to install in the first place, relative to the associated PCP?

------

My understanding is that the small items in the right-hand side, plugging in to the multi-socket back-plane are the Filter Links, roughly about 1 inch cubes (25 mm cubes).

Whilst cards are the substantially larger items inserted vertically in to the slots in the left-hand side, about 10 inches high, by 0.5 inch wide (250 mm by 12.5 mm).
Standard User witchunt
(member) Wed 09-Nov-16 11:31:03
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Generally to a figure of 50 percent, but with only 2 sizes of cabinet for each make ( AIOs not included) they have limited options, so up to 200 lines they would have chosen a 96 port cab in an huawei area.
A huawei 288 port cab will be built with 1 or 2 out of 6 cards preinstalled. Never fully populated from build, and only 1 card added each increment. The spare slots are covered by blanking plates.
The white modules on the right are the plugin filters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 14:31:07
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response and clarification.

I'd appreciate you reading vthe screed below; and indicating if my interpretation is correct.

The local FTTC was fully doors-opened shortly after the second batch of 48 Filter-Links had been added, giving 96 total, leaving a total of 192 sockets in the rest of the back-plane.

This was for a battery check, apparently there is remote monitoring, so I managed to get a photo of the full interior.

Above the batteries are the six "cards", mounted vertically.

Each card has two basically white, circular, cables rising from the the cards to the top, then right-wards, disappearing down behind the Filter-Link back-plane, potentially carrying the VDSL signals when individual customer upgrades have been activated.

Although basically those cables are white, the final 6 inches (150 mm) appear to have black, possibly "shrink-on" sleeving.

Separately in the right-hand, back-plane area, there are "flattened" white cables, rising from the bottom of that right-hand side, the left-hand cable entry duct, with black "tie-wraps" at intervals.

Back to the six cards.

I have noted that the first two at the left, appear to have two LEDs on each, probably green-top, red-bottom.

Also on the vertical right edge of those two, in the photo , is a line, about two inches in height, very narow in width.

That suggests that those two cards are the functioning cards, providing the VDSL signals to the 96 Filter-Links, as and when the subscribers upgrade.

Thus it seens likely that the other four (non LED) cards are the "blanking plates" often referred to; and would have to be replaced with working versions progressively, to stay ahead of the Filter-Link total.

============

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Nov-16 14:52:10
Print Post

Does picture link help http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/images/f...

Over views are over on http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/

e.g. both doors open http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/images/f...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Wed 09-Nov-16 16:00:32
Print Post

Thus it seens likely that the other four (non LED) cards are the "blanking plates" often referred to; and would have to be replaced with working versions progressively, to stay ahead of the Filter-Link total

Usually , additional cards are installed together with the additional filters at the same time. This assumes that there are sufficient ties pairs installed. Sometimes there are not, in which case the card may be installed and the filters left boxed in the base ready to be installed once additional ties have been installed.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 16:02:53
Print Post

Yes, thanks, in conjunction with Witchunt's reply.

Your first link seems to confirm that apart from the two LEDs etc at the foot, "blanking plates" are superficially identical to working cards, so not generally obvious.

In that particular case, 4 working cards (with LEDs); and 192 Filter-Links in place.

Also as I suspected, although working cards have to replace the very similar "blanking plates" to keep ahead of or equal to the Filter-Link complement, in total they can not exceed the total designed capacity of the FTTC cabinet, in my local case, 288.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 09-Nov-16 16:45:36
Print Post

There are now 64 port line cards available allowing up to 384 connections per fibre cabinet.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 17:45:10
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

What happens on the right-hand side of an existing, 288 line and 288 Filter-Link Back-Plane in an existing Huawei FTTC Cabinet?

There might just be space at the foot of the Back-Plane for two x 24 sockets; but that does not add up to 384.

And there would be the need to run in the appropriate linking Cables from and to the associated PCP, generally through u/g ducting.

Then there would be the wiring work within an existing FTTC to terminate those linking cables on an enlarged back-plane.

Also given the present two multi-way connectors on each of the vertical cards, with no obvious empty slots beyond the six, whether presently working cards or "blanking plates".

---------

Could it be that the "64 port line cards" can only be used in a new FTTC cabinet designed for the "384 connections per fibre cabinet"?

Edited by eckiedoo (Wed 09-Nov-16 17:45:39)

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 09-Nov-16 18:03:45
Print Post

There's an "add on" side door that's fitted to the right hand side of the cab.

See Here

Edited by lee111s (Wed 09-Nov-16 18:04:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to