General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Mon 18-Jul-16 09:58:39
Print Post

FTTC Over Subscribed

[link to this post]

Morning, is it possible for anyone to check as to when BT will begin taking orders for the area where I'm moving to? Only recently FTTC got provisioned however the checker is saying that it's not taking any more orders.

Anyone able to give accurate time scales as to when I can order, as I don't fancy 1.5mbps download smile

Post code is G72 6QF
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jul-16 10:20:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC Over Subscribed

[re: bapesta786] [link to this post]

The cabinet is full to capacity. Unless another is built. You will have to wait for a port to become free , that is, for someone to cease their fttc.
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Mon 18-Jul-16 10:22:10
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Grrr not the news I wanted to hear! Really not looking forward to going back to 1.5mbps down.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Mon 18-Jul-16 11:31:48
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
The cabinet is full to capacity. Unless another is built. You will have to wait for a port to become free , that is, for someone to cease their fttc.

Does this mean that I could try another provider other than BT who may have a certain percentage of ports within the cabinet?
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 18-Jul-16 12:58:26
Print Post

No. ISP's aren't allocated ports. It's a first come first served system.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-16 09:44:00
Print Post

But the address you are going to could have fttc and when they cease it down that frees a port as long as there is no one else in the queue.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-16 11:25:41
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

The OP want's too make surer they place an order for a line migration 'if there is an active vdsl line' chances are it will disappear very quickly if sent back into the wild.

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - BT Smart Hub
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Super Hub 2ac
SkyFibre - 39998/9995kbps - Sky Q Hub
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-16 11:27:30
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Agreed, but they don't have the pone line, the chances are the current occupier will place a cease on it, and even if the OP is on great terms with the current occupier most name changes on the PSTN will cause a stop and start of the PSTN and that will cease the dsl.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-16 14:00:33
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Agreed, but they don't have the pone line, the chances are the current occupier will place a cease on it, and even if the OP is on great terms with the current occupier most name changes on the PSTN will cause a stop and start of the PSTN and that will cease the dsl.
could they not keep it in the same name with a different provider ? as the bill payer doesn't have to be the named subscriber surely, ?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jul-16 15:00:32
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

That would nicely screw up the Telephone Book.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-16 15:27:21
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

You can only migrate a line to another service provider if you are the named account holder of the existing service.

So doing what you suggest would not work. Also it would be fraudulent, as ISPs report to credit reference agencies, if the new homeowner did not pay the bill, this would be reflected poorly on the previous occupiers credit which may impact their ability to get a car loan, credit card, mobile phone contract etc.
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Sat 23-Jul-16 01:18:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

the previous occupant never had fibre anyway.

So am I screwed then until either a new cabinet is installed or someone leaves the service? I do notice that EE can offer me fibre in that area but Sky and BT can't as BT says it's over subscribed. How is that possible?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 07:11:51
Print Post

It isn't, it would appear that EE's checker isn't as up to date.

Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-16 10:27:46
Print Post

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I have just moved into the area over the weekend and will be on the same cabinet (36).

I have seen on the residents Facebook page that the cabinet will not be upgraded or a new one built until January ! frown

Extremely poor from Openreach in my opinion, the area is rapidly expanding and there are lots of young families, fibre is an essential utility these days,
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-16 11:24:16
Print Post

[re: welshy1812] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by welshy1812:
Sorry to resurrect the thread but I have just moved into the area over the weekend and will be on the same cabinet (36).

I have seen on the residents Facebook page that the cabinet will not be upgraded or a new one built until January ! frown

Extremely poor from Openreach in my opinion, the area is rapidly expanding and there are lots of young families, fibre is an essential utility these days,

That's a bit poor! I've just got the BT ADSL for now....1.3meg!. Ridiculous.

You on Red Deer Rd too?
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-16 13:30:30
Print Post

I'm on Red Deer Walk, cabinet isn't far from me but I'm still not expecting anything more than 3mb.

Will be sore as we were down the other side of Westburn previously and I had a solid 60mb.

I have seen that Openreach can upgrade the cards in the cabs now to add ports rather than having to put another cabinet, but suppose that depends on how many ports are needed.
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-16 13:32:06
Print Post

I'm on Red Deer Walk, cabinet isn't far from me but I'm still not expecting anything more than 3mb.

Will be sore as we were down the other side of Westburn previously and I had a solid 60mb.

I have seen that Openreach can upgrade the cards in the cabs now to add ports rather than having to put another cabinet, but suppose that depends on how many ports are needed.

Ah right ok, where did you get that info? I'm on cabinet 36 as well. 1meg is horrific.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Aug-16 14:35:07
Print Post

On the cards - the fibre cabinets rarely had their full stock of line cards installed when new, so always was add a couple of cards before they got full.

For some cabinets now there is a higher density design (i.e. more lines per card) so can swap out a line card and fit more people in, though given this will mean downtime for all those on that card might be a difficult one to arrange with an ISP, i.e. its not just rock up, take card out of package and slot in.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Tue 23-Aug-16 14:35:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

I have a lot of respect for RobertoS, a long-time poster who is very knowledgeable. So there is nothing personal attached to the following comment.

Who uses the phone book these days? How many strangers do you want to look up via surname and have a chat with? If they are someone belonging to an organisation who you would like to arrange to give a talk, then surely the internet is a better source of reference than the ever-more-skinny (which iis 70% adverts) phone book?

Just thinking aloud. And of course this doesn't invalidate your original point.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Aug-16 15:07:37
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

Flattery will get you anything smile.

I agree few use the phone book itself, but bear in mind we are talking about a private residence, not a business that would be expected to have a website.

Tommy seemed to be suggesting that if Mr Jones moved out and Mr Smith moved in, and Mr Smith started paying the bills, all would be well. However, the line still belongs to Mr Jones and Mr Jones is responsible for paying it if there is a default.

Directory Enquiry services all depend on the digital version of the phone directory. The phone book is a very localised extract from that anyway, so I was using it in the generic sense of "all phone books".

No Directory Enquiry services would be able to supply the correct number for Mr Smith. They would only be able to give the number at his previous address, or maybe he has moved three times so an even older one. They wouldn't know that he was to be found on Mr Jones's number.

Enquiry by address would be a different question. As far as I know that isn't easily available to the public, if at all. Can Directory Enquiries look up by address if you don't know the name of the line owner? Surely the full address only comes into the question if there are two identical names+initials in the directory?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Sun 06-Nov-16 00:21:24
Print Post

Re-visiting this as I've now been here almost three months and there still seems to be a lack of information as to an upgrade to cabinet 36 or indeed an additional cabinet install.

I've emailed Openreach but they couldn't tell me if or when a new cabinet will be installed.

There must be close to 200 homes that can't get access to fibre here, despite it being available in the area.

Hoping that there maybe someone on the forum with the information at hand ?

Postcode is G72 6PZ.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 06-Nov-16 13:41:53
Print Post

lets make some assumptions

cab gets decisioned in 2011/2012/2013 for fibre either by a Commercial or BDUk p[rogramme based on number of premses at that time

2014/2015 developer asks for 200 copper lines (not fibre) which get put on the nearest cab or a new copper cab gets built in this case they got built on the fibre enabled c ab determined before the new build was there

not sure how that Extremely poor from Openreach in my opinion, the area is rapidly expanding and there are lots of young families, fibre is an essential utility these days,

actually its a the developers responsibility to ensure that the homes they bulld and hope they are fibre enabled as a high percentage currently being moved into around the country will not be as only asked for copper -- which the infrastructure providers pay the developers to install
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Sun 06-Nov-16 15:52:09
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gazzyk1ns:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

I have a lot of respect for RobertoS, a long-time poster who is very knowledgeable. So there is nothing personal attached to the following comment.

Who uses the phone book these days? How many strangers do you want to look up via surname and have a chat with? If they are someone belonging to an organisation who you would like to arrange to give a talk, then surely the internet is a better source of reference than the ever-more-skinny (which iis 70% adverts) phone book?

Just thinking aloud. And of course this doesn't invalidate your original point.

Regardless of the phone book....

If I were moving out, I'd cease my line. I would not leave a line in my name on the agreement that the new occupier would pay the bill, they promise.

Next thing would be for them to run up a massive phone bill and not pay (I'm liable) or do something illegal on the internet (I'm the subscriber, hassle for me to deal with).

It's a non starter!
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sun 06-Nov-16 18:21:03
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that you succumbed to that scenario, but I now see how it would be a difficult thing to get around. I also wasn't considering Directory Enquiries.

It was a bad post, and I am sorry.
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 01:07:18
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
lets make some assumptions

cab gets decisioned in 2011/2012/2013 for fibre either by a Commercial or BDUk p[rogramme based on number of premses at that time

2014/2015 developer asks for 200 copper lines (not fibre) which get put on the nearest cab or a new copper cab gets built in this case they got built on the fibre enabled c ab determined before the new build was there

not sure how that Extremely poor from Openreach in my opinion, the area is rapidly expanding and there are lots of young families, fibre is an essential utility these days,

actually its a the developers responsibility to ensure that the homes they bulld and hope they are fibre enabled as a high percentage currently being moved into around the country will not be as only asked for copper -- which the infrastructure providers pay the developers to install
[/quote]

I'm not really sure what your point is to be honest, as far back as 2010 it was planned that there would be 1500 homes here and before the cabinet was stood in 2014 there were easily in excess of 300 houses that would connect to cabinet 36.

Anyway, it's irrelevant as I'm not here to argue about Openreach, all I want to know is what the plans are for further FTTC provision for the hundreds of households who don't have access.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Nov-16 03:04:18
Print Post

Anyway, it's irrelevant as I'm not here to argue about Openreach, all I want to know is what the plans are for further FTTC provision for the hundreds of households who don't have access.
You should be treated no different from any other subscriber that is unable to get an FTTC connection. It's not for BT to solve but rather the developer. BT's got a big job still to do to enable many thousands of customers who've been waiting a very long time rather than step in to cover the back of a negligent developer. As for plans, you could look at a community funding solution rather than relying on the largesse of others which is what we had to do to get an FTTC solution for our 75 25+ year old properties in Lambeth, London.
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 23:59:11
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
You should be treated no different from any other subscriber that is unable to get an FTTC connection. It's not for BT to solve but rather the developer. BT's got a big job still to do to enable many thousands of customers who've been waiting a very long time rather than step in to cover the back of a negligent developer. As for plans, you could look at a community funding solution rather than relying on the largesse of others which is what we had to do to get an FTTC solution for our 75 25+ year old properties in Lambeth, London.

I don't recall saying that I should be treated any differently and it has nothing to do with BT.

The first houses built here are now around 10 years old but when Openreach installed the cabinet there were many more houses here than could be served by it, I think that is pretty short sighted given the area isn't cheap to buy in and likely that uptake would be strong.

Anyway, I will say it again, all I'm looking for is a bit of information, rough dates perhaps of when another cabinet will be installed. Also, saying that I am relying on the largesse of others is a bit out of order, I'm hardly on my own demanding that it be installed, merely seeking information of when further provision will be made available.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Nov-16 05:07:42
Print Post

merely seeking information of when further provision will be made available.
Prepare yourself for never and then you won't be disappointed. There are many hundreds of thousands in the queue and you will have to wait your turn. Not helpful I know but hopefully someone at BT will feel that upgrading your cabinet is an economic proposition and that your wait won't be too long but don't think that because you are demanding (your word) something that others see it in the same light..
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:50:58
Print Post

I don't recall saying that I should be treated any differently and it has nothing to do with BT.

The first houses built here are now around 10 years old but when Openreach installed the cabinet there were many more houses here than could be served by it, I think that is pretty short sighted given the area isn't cheap to buy in and likely that uptake would be strong.

Anyway, I will say it again, all I'm looking for is a bit of information, rough dates perhaps of when another cabinet will be installed. Also, saying that I am relying on the largesse of others is a bit out of order, I'm hardly on my own demanding that it be installed, merely seeking information of when further provision will be made available.

A few weeks ago, I stopped the car at Cabinet 36 and spoke to the Openreach engineer that was there. He wasn't able to give a concrete date. Not even an estimate tbh, but he did say that they had just done a site survey. That was probably around 8 weeks ago.

Also speaking to a few of the people in the area - they advised that someone who has access to cabinet information etc is a member of the local residents Facebook page and rumours are Jan/Feb for a new cabinet, or cabinet upgrade.

My 2 neighbours have 76MB, while I have 2MB.
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 17:48:56
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
merely seeking information of when further provision will be made available.
Prepare yourself for never and then you won't be disappointed. There are many hundreds of thousands in the queue and you will have to wait your turn. Not helpful I know but hopefully someone at BT will feel that upgrading your cabinet is an economic proposition and that your wait won't be too long but don't think that because you are demanding (your word) something that others see it in the same light..

I was making the point that I wasn't demanding it.
Standard User welshy1812
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 17:59:14
Print Post

Thanks for the update, guess it sounds like there is at least something happening although probably still a long way off.

I've seen the posts on the Facebook page but have been taking them with a pinch of salt.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 11:07:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Morning Andrew

Given the subject, I wonder if BT/OR tries to "match" the full potential capacity of FTTCs to the existing PCPs?

In the case of my local pair, by using the Postcodes associated with the local PCP, 100% for the number of premises where the Postcode is fully covered; and 50% for the partially-covered Postcodes, I worked out that the PCP probably covered about 300 premises/lines.

Later, I came across a stated figure of 287, so a fairly good correlation.

------

The FTTC is a Huawei which can take 288 lines, in the right-hand side when fully stocked; but probably still limited to 96, when I observed a second group of 48 Filter Links being added, to the multi-socket back plane in the right-hand-side above the multi-wire cable links to the PCP.; and probably around 70 to 75 actual upgraded lines, judging by the BT/OR or Kelly visits I have observed since.

It appears to have a full set of (vertical) cards in the left-hand side, above the back-up batteries, mains charger PSU etc, ie no obviously empty "card" slots.

------

So does anyone know how BT/OR assess the size of FTTC to install in the first place, relative to the associated PCP?

------

My understanding is that the small items in the right-hand side, plugging in to the multi-socket back-plane are the Filter Links, roughly about 1 inch cubes (25 mm cubes).

Whilst cards are the substantially larger items inserted vertically in to the slots in the left-hand side, about 10 inches high, by 0.5 inch wide (250 mm by 12.5 mm).
Standard User witchunt
(member) Wed 09-Nov-16 11:31:03
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Generally to a figure of 50 percent, but with only 2 sizes of cabinet for each make ( AIOs not included) they have limited options, so up to 200 lines they would have chosen a 96 port cab in an huawei area.
A huawei 288 port cab will be built with 1 or 2 out of 6 cards preinstalled. Never fully populated from build, and only 1 card added each increment. The spare slots are covered by blanking plates.
The white modules on the right are the plugin filters
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 14:31:07
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response and clarification.

I'd appreciate you reading vthe screed below; and indicating if my interpretation is correct.

The local FTTC was fully doors-opened shortly after the second batch of 48 Filter-Links had been added, giving 96 total, leaving a total of 192 sockets in the rest of the back-plane.

This was for a battery check, apparently there is remote monitoring, so I managed to get a photo of the full interior.

Above the batteries are the six "cards", mounted vertically.

Each card has two basically white, circular, cables rising from the the cards to the top, then right-wards, disappearing down behind the Filter-Link back-plane, potentially carrying the VDSL signals when individual customer upgrades have been activated.

Although basically those cables are white, the final 6 inches (150 mm) appear to have black, possibly "shrink-on" sleeving.

Separately in the right-hand, back-plane area, there are "flattened" white cables, rising from the bottom of that right-hand side, the left-hand cable entry duct, with black "tie-wraps" at intervals.

Back to the six cards.

I have noted that the first two at the left, appear to have two LEDs on each, probably green-top, red-bottom.

Also on the vertical right edge of those two, in the photo , is a line, about two inches in height, very narow in width.

That suggests that those two cards are the functioning cards, providing the VDSL signals to the 96 Filter-Links, as and when the subscribers upgrade.

Thus it seens likely that the other four (non LED) cards are the "blanking plates" often referred to; and would have to be replaced with working versions progressively, to stay ahead of the Filter-Link total.

============

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Nov-16 14:52:10
Print Post

Does picture link help http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/images/f...

Over views are over on http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/

e.g. both doors open http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/images/f...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Wed 09-Nov-16 16:00:32
Print Post

Thus it seens likely that the other four (non LED) cards are the "blanking plates" often referred to; and would have to be replaced with working versions progressively, to stay ahead of the Filter-Link total

Usually , additional cards are installed together with the additional filters at the same time. This assumes that there are sufficient ties pairs installed. Sometimes there are not, in which case the card may be installed and the filters left boxed in the base ready to be installed once additional ties have been installed.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 16:02:53
Print Post

Yes, thanks, in conjunction with Witchunt's reply.

Your first link seems to confirm that apart from the two LEDs etc at the foot, "blanking plates" are superficially identical to working cards, so not generally obvious.

In that particular case, 4 working cards (with LEDs); and 192 Filter-Links in place.

Also as I suspected, although working cards have to replace the very similar "blanking plates" to keep ahead of or equal to the Filter-Link complement, in total they can not exceed the total designed capacity of the FTTC cabinet, in my local case, 288.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 09-Nov-16 16:45:36
Print Post

There are now 64 port line cards available allowing up to 384 connections per fibre cabinet.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 17:45:10
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

What happens on the right-hand side of an existing, 288 line and 288 Filter-Link Back-Plane in an existing Huawei FTTC Cabinet?

There might just be space at the foot of the Back-Plane for two x 24 sockets; but that does not add up to 384.

And there would be the need to run in the appropriate linking Cables from and to the associated PCP, generally through u/g ducting.

Then there would be the wiring work within an existing FTTC to terminate those linking cables on an enlarged back-plane.

Also given the present two multi-way connectors on each of the vertical cards, with no obvious empty slots beyond the six, whether presently working cards or "blanking plates".

---------

Could it be that the "64 port line cards" can only be used in a new FTTC cabinet designed for the "384 connections per fibre cabinet"?

Edited by eckiedoo (Wed 09-Nov-16 17:45:39)

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Wed 09-Nov-16 18:03:45
Print Post

There's an "add on" side door that's fitted to the right hand side of the cab.

See Here

Edited by lee111s (Wed 09-Nov-16 18:04:38)

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 18:15:01
Print Post

Thanks, Lee.

Now makes a lot more sense.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Nov-16 09:55:36
Print Post

Because of the local FTTC being a Huawi 288, my knowledge has been directly based on that.

I have now taken a look at the ECI M41 photos on-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

Where-as the Huawei's use "dummy or empty" card front panels/trims are only distinguishable by the lack of LEDs etc, the ECI's use a "blank/ing plate" readily identified by its simplicity.

The ECIs also appear to totally omit the corresponding cables at those blank plate positions, compared with the Huawei having them in position - further disguising the non-working situation of those slots in the Huawei.

That suggests that there is more work needed to extend the ECI's to full normal capacity, without progressing beyond that.

--------------

So far, I have not located interior photos of the Huawei 288 modified to 384.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Nov-16 15:00:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Where-as the Huawei's use "dummy or empty" card front panels/trims are only distinguishable by the lack of LEDs etc, the ECI's use a "blank/ing plate" readily identified by its simplicity.

The ECIs also appear to totally omit the corresponding cables at those blank plate positions, compared with the Huawei having them in position - further disguising the non-working situation of those slots in the Huawei.

That suggests that there is more work needed to extend the ECI's to full normal capacity, without progressing beyond that.

In the Huawei cabinets, two different DSLAMs are used to provision the different number of subscribers; the AIO has the same MA5616T (for 128 lines) as the smaller Huawei cabinets... with capacity for 4 cards with 32 ports on each.

However, the ECI cabinets utilise the same M41 DSLAM ... it is just the amount of wiring that distinguishes between a 128-port variant and a 256-port variant.

The pictures you see on Kitz show both
- A 256-port, with 4 pre-wired connectors; 1 in use and 3 blanking plates that could all be upgraded
- A 128-port, with 2 pre-wired connectors; 2 in use, and 2 blanking plates that cannot be upgraded

I'm not sure I've heard of a 128 ECI being upgraded to 256 on the fly.
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Wed 14-Dec-16 15:32:31
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

No news yet whatsoever regarding fibre frown Can anyone provide any update at all on Cabinet 36? (G72 6QF)

Edited by bapesta786 (Wed 14-Dec-16 15:33:10)

Standard User Stewartni
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 16:53:54
Print Post

I am in a similar position, i just moved home, literally less than half a mile away from where i was. Local cabinet reports "Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now". I have been in contact with openreach who to be honest have been useless. All i would like to know is if there are plans to do anything to improve service!!!! Im currently getting between 1.5-2mb which in this day and age is terrible. The address i moved from was giving me 38mb on fibre.

Can anyone help or suggest who i can find this out????

Thanks
Stewart
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 16:57:59
Print Post

[re: Stewartni] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stewartni:
I am in a similar position, i just moved home, literally less than half a mile away from where i was. Local cabinet reports "Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now". I have been in contact with openreach who to be honest have been useless. All i would like to know is if there are plans to do anything to improve service!!!! Im currently getting between 1.5-2mb which in this day and age is terrible. The address i moved from was giving me 38mb on fibre.

Can anyone help or suggest who i can find this out????

Thanks
Stewart

it's funny that you reply to my thread...on the day I finally get fibre activated.

I feel your pain. You tried this link?
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 21-Apr-17 17:01:15
Print Post

I guess the only options are

1 keep checking the cabinet status and order it when it comes available.

2. see if there are any other providers that dont use OR's network near you.

3. if Virgin Media is available then get that. You should at least improve on your current speed situation.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Apr-17 17:14:27
Print Post

If you're the same guy from the BT forums....

July is the planned date.

Cabinet P49 FTTC Available from 10th September 2010, being expanded by July 2017 Phase 04a 2010-2011 798 Huawei BT19 6FH
Standard User Stewartni
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 19:51:54
Print Post

Hi, thank you for reply.

Your in the right area but my cabinet is BT19 7jh, cabinet 95

I'm struggling here have came home and I'm getting less than 1mb it's terrible 😔
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 21-Apr-17 19:52:42
Print Post

I was lucky when I moved and managed to get the last spare port on the cabinet although my employer needs to get a line put in for my work but 1.5 Mbps ADSL isn't really going to cut it.

There's still 20 or so household on the estate that are still waiting for fibre to become available but there doesn't seem to be a date for capacity to be increased. Personally I would like to see Openreach to install an infill cabinet which would boost speeds for probably around 100 or more properties that are currently getting sub 15 Mbps speeds.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Apr-17 20:21:55
Print Post

Didn't you say cabinet 49 on the BT forum?
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Apr-17 20:25:30
Print Post

Cab 95 only serves around 114 homes (at the time it was activated).

The smallest Huawei cabs can support 128 customers so it should only be a case of a new line card and possibly extra tie pairs in the cabinet. I suggest contacting Openreach again.

Or, contact Superfast NI as they paid for the cab upgrade.
Standard User Stewartni
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 20:57:05
Print Post

I'm pretty sure it's cabinet 95 that serves me.

I have contacted openreach a lot lol, but they can tell me nothing at the minute

Thanks for the reply
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Apr-17 21:07:01
Print Post

Fair enough...you said 49 on the other forum though wink
Standard User witchunt
(member) Fri 21-Apr-17 21:11:53
Print Post

The smallest Huawei cabs can support 128 customers

That assumes 1) they have been upgraded to 32 port line cards 2) there is sufficient tie pair capacity and 3) the premises count is correct
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Apr-17 21:20:39
Print Post

Being a new cab I'd expect so to all of the above.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Fri 21-Apr-17 21:51:55
Print Post

Maybe 1) depending on how long its been in the planning pipeline, but I wouldn't take 2 and 3 for granted by any means

Edited by witchunt (Fri 21-Apr-17 21:54:21)

Standard User Stewartni
(newbie) Sat 22-Apr-17 09:52:24
Print Post

BANGOR, BT19 7JH on Exchange BANGOR is served by Cabinet 95

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availibility Date

WBC SOGEA Availibility Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 64.9 20 20 57.8 Waiting list -- -- Yes
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 78.6 51.4 20 16.2 39.8 Waiting list -- -- Yes

Tried to ss the details but this is the just of it....... waiting list frown

I do appreciate all the input guys, thanks for the replies
Standard User hoopla
(member) Sat 22-Apr-17 19:24:20
Print Post

Looks like you'll need to get yourself a 4G mifi for the time being.
Standard User Stewartni
(newbie) Mon 08-May-17 10:36:19
Print Post

ok just an update for you guys.

Everyday I have been checking the FTTC cabinet locator site which shows current status on the cabinet.

Friday morning I looked and low and behold it mentioned that fibre was available so I immediately got on the phone and ordered with my provider, everything seems to be going ok with the order so far with an estimated activation date of this Friday coming.

On checking the FTTC site again on Saturday it had gone back to saying "demand was high and you may not be able to order"

I'm hoping all is good with my order, if by chance my provider comes back to me and says that they cant full fill it do I have any come back.

Cheers
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-May-17 10:47:46
Print Post

As far as I know, a port is allocated once the order is accepted, which would explain why after you placing an order, it has gone back to the message explaning demand is high.

As to a come back should the order not progress, then no. I very much doubt you would have.
Standard User Stewartni
(newbie) Mon 08-May-17 10:53:23
Print Post

Thanks for the reply

Fingers crossed from here on out!!!

I will keep you up to date, hopefully everything will run smooth.

Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to