General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vfranchetti
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-16 07:43:25
Print Post

Reduced speed new BT Infinity 2 cuntomer

[link to this post]

I have just been switched on this morning to BT infinity 2. I switched from plus net where I was getting a rock solid 68m down and 20m up. I always thought this download speed was poor as I used to get 76mb download speed plus I'm only 300metres or so from the cabinet.

So I have just been switched to BT and my sync speed is 61mb down and 20mb up.

I don't have the full line stats handy at the moment but Line attenuation is 11.9 with SNR of 6.4.

BT website stated I should get between 71-80 with minimum guaranteed of 63mb.

Do these figures look right? I don't understand how there is such a difference between what is essentially the same company so I am assuming the same equipment.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 21-Jul-16 07:50:31
Print Post

Re: Reduced speed new BT Infinity 2 cuntomer

[re: vfranchetti] [link to this post]

The ISP can't change your sync speed, that's dependant on your modem negotiating with your cabinet.

Are you using the same modem that you used with Plusnet or is it a different one? That would probably make a difference.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 21-Jul-16 07:54:32
Print Post

G.INP may have been removed during the switch which would account for some of the sync loss. It should return if DLM thinks your line needs G.INP.

If you're using the new smart hub, I've also read reports of it syncing lower than the previous hub 5 on some lines so it's possible that's accountable too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-16 07:58:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I am using a netgear d6400. I haven't changed anything. I got up this morning and it had already switched over to BT so I logged into the router to change the username and the sync speed is much lower than what I had with plusnet last night.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 21-Jul-16 08:09:41
Print Post

So your loss is probably down to the removal of G.INP as suggested. It should return in a couple of weeks.
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-16 10:13:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Looking dslstats it is showing as g.inp disabled. I have contacted by to let them know I am not happy with the speed and was told my speed is fine as it above 20mb. I will give it time and see what happens.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jul-16 11:18:52
Print Post

Can you see if interleaving is on? If so then it typically takes between one and three weeks for it to swap it to G.INP and give you back your higher sync. As far as I know there is nothing the ISP can do about it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-16 12:21:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am not home just now but I changed the router from my Netgear to the BT smarthub. I synced at 60.5mb and will leave that on for the next few weeks just in case there is an issue I am sure they will want here own equipment connected.

With regards to interleaving I am sure the BT smart hub says it is on Fast Path.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-16 13:09:32
Print Post

What was the estimated speed when you signed up?
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-16 13:34:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The website said between 73-80mb with a minimum guarantee of 63mb.

I have been on PlusNet 80/20 service for a couple of years and I used to get 80mb down and 20mb up. Around 6 months ago it came down to between 68-70mb and stayed at that.

I wasn't expecting the speed to change much. Certainly not 8-10mb less speed! I am hoping the fact that G.INP doesn't seem to be enabled is causing the line to sync lower and I would assume they will enable this in due course.

According to BT I am tied in now regardless as they have said this morning 20mb is acceptable to them even though the website stated a minimum of 63mb.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to