General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mjjtus
(newbie) Sat 23-Jul-16 13:02:56
Print Post

SSE Draytek 2860

[link to this post]

Hi Having major problems with SSE. Just moved from plusnet with no problems. My SSE Technicolor router will connect fine. However when I put my details into the draytek it connects gets a ip works for a few seconds then just dies. Stays connected but I cannot get any internet. I have set the MTU to 1500 and 1492. I found it was PPPoE. Is it VC or LLC? I have tried both and they connect but still the same problem. I have also tried cloning the mac from the Technicolor but still does not work. Anybody have any ideas?
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sat 23-Jul-16 15:34:17
Print Post

Re: SSE Draytek 2860

[re: mjjtus] [link to this post]

Is it VC or LLC?

Neither

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/vigor-2860-v...

I'm not registered but it should show you what you need to know. (Make sure you have set vlan 101)

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/features/2106-drayte...

At least with broadband buyer you dont have to be reg.

Ian

Edited by ian007jen (Sat 23-Jul-16 15:44:15)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 23-Jul-16 17:09:58
Print Post

I have a 2860 connect to BT Business. I would recommend that the firmware is updated to 3.8.2.3_BT as soon as possible.

You connect the internet service to the WAN 1 socket. There is no need for the BT modem.

Router setup is:
WAN >> General Setup >> WAN1. For Tag Insertion then ADSL is Disabled and VDSL2 is enabled with a Tag Value of 101.

WAN >> Internet Access. For WAN 1 select Access Mode of PPPoE/ PPPoA then click the adjacent Details button. The PPPoE/PPPoA tab is selected and Enabled. in the ISP Access Setup enter your credentials if you have any otherwise use the generic logon details as stated elsewhere in this thread. For the MTU go for 1520 as this will help if you are using a Sure Signal Service.

LAN >> General Setup. Make sure the DHCP Server Configuration is enabled and if so desired you may wish to get away from the default values.

And that's all you need to do but other tweaks worth considering are:

Firewall >> DoS defense Setup. Enable and Select All although it might be best to untick Block trace route.

System Maintenance >> Administrator Password Setup. Essential to have a strong password.

System Maintenance >> Time and Date. Make sure you have the correct time and date showing,

Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor. Enable this.

Diagnostics >> Syslog Explorer. Enable this. Set Display Mode to Always record the new event.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gah789
(member) Sat 23-Jul-16 20:48:24
Print Post

For reasons that are unclear the Draytek implementation of its PPPoE client appears to have problems in connecting to a number of PPPoE servers. The problem is not consistent across models and/or firmware versions. Loading the Draytek BT firmware may help, but SSE will probably rely on a different PPPoE server which may or may not be compatible. Reasonably enough, SSE will say that they can only guarantee that their router works with their network equipment.

Unfortunately, there are frequent problems with PPPoE compatibility. Try using Vodafone's Sure Signal over PPPoE - it is complete pot luck as to whether it work or not. If you really want to use something other than the SSE Technicolor router, go for something expensive like Cisco or cheap & flexible like Mikrotik or Ubiquiti.
Standard User mjjtus
(newbie) Sun 24-Jul-16 09:01:14
Print Post

[re: gah789] [link to this post]

It must be the PPPoE I have tried firmware tried mtu. Vlan is set to 101. It's really strange it works fine for 30 seconds or so then just stops. Wan stays connected fine. I was considering a Cisco but the draytek was quite expensive. Seems a shame as it was fine with bt and plusnet. Speed on SSE is terrible at peak times as well down to 0.5mb nearly 40mb at 6am
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 24-Jul-16 11:07:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by mjjtus:
It must be the PPPoE I have tried firmware tried mtu. Vlan is set to 101. It's really strange it works fine for 30 seconds or so then just stops. Wan stays connected fine. I was considering a Cisco but the draytek was quite expensive. Seems a shame as it was fine with bt and plusnet. Speed on SSE is terrible at peak times as well down to 0.5mb nearly 40mb at 6am

if you can post some pictures of your settings then someone maybe able to see what the problem is.
Standard User mjjtus
(newbie) Sun 24-Jul-16 11:26:34
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Settings 1

Settings 2

These are what it is set to at the moment
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 24-Jul-16 13:30:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by mjjtus:
Settings 1

Settings 2

These are what it is set to at the moment

Clutching at straws here because most would say that those settings would be fine.

Comparing my settings I do have an Entry for Service Name and I have set the MTU at 1520. Also the adsl setting is shown as PPPoA.

I do have the DSL mode as AUTO though.

Perhaps not having a Service Name is problematical for the connection to stay up.

It is quite rare for the configuration for an ISP to use MPoA but that might be the case.

Could really do with a screen shot of the Dashboard though.to check for anything else that might not be correct.
Standard User mjjtus
(newbie) Sun 24-Jul-16 14:27:29
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Dashboard

Online Status

The WAN2 link is to the technicolor temporarily.
Standard User ironman12345
(newbie) Sun 24-Jul-16 23:51:01
Print Post

Have you tried running with only WAN1 instead of having WAN1 & WAN2.?
The reason I state this is because they might be conflicting and then after a time WAN2 might win.
Also there is a setting some where on the Draytek to turn it off [cut its connection] if no data is being moved.?
The setting is called "Always on" or something like that.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to