General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Sun 24-Jul-16 20:27:16
Print Post

Modem to router

[link to this post]

When our fibre finally arrives, it would be convenient to locate the ONT and modem together in a cupboard about 5 metres distant from the router. Is this distance likely to cause any problems and how far apart can they be?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Jul-16 21:53:10
Print Post

Re: Modem to router

[re: sandcastle] [link to this post]

You mean FTTP?

Assuming, (because I'm too tired to check), that the modem to the router is ethernet, as it is with everything else, then 100 metres.

The question I would be asking is how easily can I have the ONT mounted in that cupboard.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Sun 24-Jul-16 21:59:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, FTTP
I hope to install flexible conduit with pull-string under the floor between the entry point and the cupboard before the second engineer visit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jul-16 22:17:55
Print Post

I hope to install flexible conduit with pull-string under the floor between the entry point and the cupboard before the second engineer visit.

No sharp bends though eh smile

Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Mon 25-Jul-16 09:18:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by sandcastle:
When our fibre finally arrives, it would be convenient to locate the ONT and modem together in a cupboard ...

You won't need both! If it's FTTP as you've stated elsewhere in this thread it'll just be the ONT, plus a battery backup unit.
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-16 09:40:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Anyone know the max cross-section dimensions of the optical fibre connector BT commonly use to plug into the ONT? I am assuming a circumstance where it might have to be pulled through the flexible conduit and therefore would have a bearing on the minimum I.D. of same.

Because FTTP is currently so uncommon and information is bitty and difficult to find, it would be handy for people thinking where to put stuff, if someone (TBB?) would devote a page to pictures and useful information. As for instance the question above and the one at the beginning of this post. Also for instance the dimensions of BT's modem and battery and how much free space around them is necessary. Then there are questions about that initial visit from the BT man who is going to run the fibre line to an external box and which you don't have to take a day off work to attend. Do they stick the box next to your telephone entry point as one site says, or at ground level as another one states. Can you choose not to have the box somewhere inconvenient or unsightly, or at ground level if you are on a flood-plain and maybe don't want a hole in your house just there. Does BT send a helpful questionnaire prior to the visit? It's easy to spend hours searching for answers to such questions.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 25-Jul-16 09:52:51
Print Post

http://www.newdevelopments-openreach.co.uk/resources...
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Mon 25-Jul-16 11:00:50
Print Post

My connector is approximately 1 cm diameter. I did similar to what you are proposing, but pulled the cut end through rather than the connector.

I ended the run of conduit under the floorboards (upstairs) and asked the BTOR engineer to leave the surplus (connector end) coiled up between the joists which he cooperatively agreed to do, and also used the longest 30m option cable. The last 0.5m or so (with the connector) was fed up through another short length of conduit I'd chased the wall out for.

You're probably wondering why I did this, but it was to have the option in the future to move the location of the ONT without having to call BTOR and pay for a new splice, as it would then be simple to just install a new conduit to the new location and pull through (connector end this time!) enough of the available 20+m as required.

Edited by Rastus (Mon 25-Jul-16 11:06:47)

Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-16 13:12:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks all for useful comments.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-16 19:25:13
Print Post

As Rastus says, the connectorised end will stay ONTE end and you'd pull the other end through.

Dimensions wise, I'll have a measure tomorrow and get back to you.

CSP always at ground level ..... virtually impossible to splice up a ladder.

They will put it somewhere else, within reason IF you are there to discuss it with them ... but no you cannot find out when they are coming.

Print Thread

Jump to