General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davey33
(newbie) Wed 27-Jul-16 10:17:53
Print Post

Can someone help me find the location of a Cabinet?

[link to this post]

I'm trying to find out the location of a telephone cabinet (cabinet 2 Ashover) which is due to get fibre broadband towards the end of this year.

Ive used the CodeLook website to identify all of the postcodes it covers which are 100% of DE55 6FG, DE55 6FN, DE55 6FL, DE55 6FJ, DE556FH and 3% of S45 9AT.

I typed "Ashover" into CodeLook and hit "Lookup Locality", then selected "all exchanges" and then selected "all 9 fibre cabinets". According to the map that came up cabinet 2 on the Ashover exchange is located off the B6036 down Badger Lane in Woolley Moor. However, the location circle for cabinet 2 is in exactly the same place as the location circle for one of the aforementioned postcodes (DE55 6FG). I assume therefore that the cabinet is somewhere in the area that DE55 6FG covers rather than being in the exact spot the circle shows (I certainly can't see any sign of the cabinet when using google streetview at this spot)

This brownish cabint next to a lampost a couple of hundred metres away is the closest I found to what BT cabinets normally look like although I don't think it is one.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.1498976,-1.4540778...

I'd be grateful if someone could help out. Thanks in advance!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Jul-16 10:33:00
Print Post

Re: Can someone help me find the location of a Cabinet?

[re: davey33] [link to this post]

The google map link is cabinet 2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-Jul-16 10:35:29
Print Post

I notice the DSLAM is
OPP TOOL BAR COTTAGE, BADGER LANE, WOOLEY MOOR, ALFRETON, DE55 6FG.

I see it has a For Sale sign on it http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/propert...
smile

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 27-Jul-16 10:40:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User davey33
(newbie) Wed 27-Jul-16 12:07:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I notice the DSLAM is OPP TOOL BAR COTTAGE, BADGER LANE, WOOLEY MOOR, ALFRETON, DE55 6FG.

I see it has a For Sale sign on it http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/propert...

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what does that mean? The house which you said is the DSLAM seems to be on the other side of the road to the cabinet MrSaffron confirmed was cabinet 2. What's the difference between the DSLAM and the cabinet?
Thanks smile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-Jul-16 12:12:38
Print Post

The DSLAM is the fibre twin, where the fibre comes to. The cabinet is the PCP where the phone lines are connected. The cabinets are wired to each other.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Jul-16 12:13:23
Print Post

An important point the house address is not the DSLAM, but simply the closest property to the DSLAM.

The DSLAM is the nice brand new cabinet that will appear with vents on it to allow the active electronics that are the DSLAM to cool during hot weather.

The old cabinet might get an upgrade to a newer modern PCP shell to give more space, and this may already have happened but given the Google image is five years old impossible to say without visiting that junction.

The existing box is called the PCP (Primary Connection Point) and is where the existing copper lines go through.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-Jul-16 12:15:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Note that "OPP TOOL BAR COTTAGE, BADGER LANE, WOOLEY MOOR, ALFRETON, DE55 6FG." means "opposite Toll Bar cottage" smile
  Print Thread

Jump to