General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richardc74
(newbie) Wed 27-Jul-16 15:48:31
Print Post

New NGA Cabinet installed

[link to this post]

I wonder if anyone has any experience with the following scenario?

I currently have Fibre broadband installed and provided from Cabinet 1 on MYMLB. I noticed a while back on www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk that another new cabinet was being planned about half way between the existing PCP/NGA cab pair and my house.

BT have installed a new NGA cab, roadworks.org seems to show this as PCP7. The local council /BDUK site shows that my area is due an upgrade to provide 24Mbit + services

Do BT connect existing Fibre customers to a closer cab if one is provided or is a request required? is there a way of discovering what the plans are for the exchange?

I'm interested to find out if i will get a speed improvement some time soon!

Thanks

Richard
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jul-16 16:31:19
Print Post

Re: New NGA Cabinet installed

[re: richardc74] [link to this post]

It seems to be for cabinet 7 or an all in one cabinet 7 which is estimated to go live June 2017 and will be located around >> here <<, as far as I can see this hasn't been allocated postcodes yet, or maybe they have and its not been updated yet.

Saying that, at this point I wouldn't like to speculate if your lines will be moved over to it or not, you might just have to wait and see.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Jul-16 16:41:47
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Situation is variable, and where a new infill cabinet has appeared in a live area, some postcodes are moved to the new cabinet with anyone live on FTTC being shifted too.

I'd not bet money on it though as many odd scenarios can go on (e.g. someone might be building 20-30 new homes and this cab is just for them)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jul-16 16:47:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Situation is variable, and where a new infill cabinet has appeared in a live area, some postcodes are moved to the new cabinet with anyone live on FTTC being shifted too.

I'd not bet money on it though as many odd scenarios can go on (e.g. someone might be building 20-30 new homes and this cab is just for them)
This is true, it also doesn't help when Google Maps hasn't been there since Aug 2011 so a lot may of changed.

Paul
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jul-16 08:56:36
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Primarily for E/O but some dp's are to be re-parented from cab 1 to cab 7
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jul-16 09:57:51
Print Post

From Ribble's post it semis there may be a possibility you will be moved to the new cabinet. Whether or not he could be more specific if you post your postcode I don't know.

What speed are you getting from cabinet 1? Also, not directly relevant but may let us help you a bit more, which ISP and do you have a separate Openreach white modem? If you do, is it an ECI or an HG?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User richardc74
(newbie) Thu 28-Jul-16 10:12:39
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info supplied - it does provide some insight

@Paul Cab 7 seems to be installed already, you can see it here

@MrSaffron, It's 99% certain that there are no new developments to be served from this cab as there's no development permitted in the village!, and only a handful (<5) of new in fill builds since google went round with their street map car.

@Ribbe. I'm surprised that there are any E/O lines at all in the village. thinking of the geography there might be 50 premises (3-4 post codes) that could be served from cab 7 My Post Code is YO42 4LY

Edited by richardc74 (Thu 28-Jul-16 11:48:29)

Standard User richardc74
(newbie) Thu 28-Jul-16 10:37:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS

I'm connecting from YO42 4LY, I am with Zen internet and get 20Mbit/sec on average (20310 - 21657kbit/sec)

Currently I use a draytek 2860 router, though I do have an OpenReach ECI modem but I don't use it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jul-16 10:46:24
Print Post

Okay not based on knowledge of the specific plans, but from experience on seeing how other infill cabinets have worked, that postcode looks reasonably likely to move to the new cab 7 once live - no guarantee but based on the 20-30 other similar infills I see each week, I'd be surprised if it did not happen.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jul-16 10:50:11
Print Post

Hopefully Ribble will see the postcode in your reply to me. It might be an idea to edit your reply to him, including it and asking if it helps.

Given the Draytek I believe you can see the stats, which is one of the reasons I asked about the modem. The other reason is I assume from having the ECI that it was an engineer install and you also have an Openreach VDSL2 interstitial filter plate. In which case your wiring is probably fine, which is what I was wondering smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to