General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Thu 28-Jul-16 09:53:12
Print Post

Power failure knocks 10mb/s off the line speed.

[link to this post]

I really had no choice but to knock the power off to the modem yesterday. On reconnecting, thought I'd try a speedtest, 10Mbps loss. Ok, it's gone back up by another 3Mbps overnight but I'd have thought OR systems would be a bit more intelligent. After all, having been up for well over 3 months at one rate (lightning strikes caused the last failure), should one single cut immediately bring down the speed? In fact, thinking about it why does it get involved with playing with the line speeds on a stable line anyway. Haven't they ever heard of if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jul-16 10:02:37
Print Post

Re: Power failure knocks 10mb/s off the line speed.

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

Why did you have to turn off the modem? It could be relevant.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 28-Jul-16 10:04:24
Print Post

Probably not the BT systems but your modem deciding on the sync rate that can be achieved on connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jul-16 11:13:07
Print Post

As modems don't reconnect at higher speeds of their own accord then if the modem has not resynced overnight then the increase might be due to IP profile catch-up game at PlusNet.

The key is what are the actual connection speeds and stats from the modem, plus the Openreach DLM looks at error rates too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Thu 28-Jul-16 11:27:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

While I might be an electrician, working live on 230volts isn't really recommended. smile I was swapping out some 13amp sockets for ones with USB sockets built in. So off went the MCB for about 30 mins or so. Wasn't a case of on and off as I changed each one but a simple off, then back on after finishing the whole lot.

One thing I noticed today was that on Plusnet, my line speed has also dropped from 78Mbps down to 67.4Mbps. I do wonder whether it's worth my while having words or wait until it goes back up.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jul-16 11:38:54
Print Post

Ummmm.

The immediate thought has to be what those inbuilt USB mains sockets are all about. I don't think you can assume they aren't the cause. What are they for, and is something now plugged into a couple?

Can you see the error stats on the Draytek?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jul-16 11:54:59
Print Post

What RobertoS is hinting at is that the switched mode PSU producing the USB might be a noise source and could be interfering with the VDSL2 signal.

One step to mitigating this if the sockets are to remain is changing RJ11 lead from a flat to twisted pair wire and at £2.99 its a cheap change to make https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008IKVAP8/ref=a...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jul-16 12:03:49
Print Post

Agree with both answers so-far. One of the biggest impacts to VDSL2+ signals is noisy PSUs, which is why Christmas tree lights etc can often have such a big impact on broadband speeds.

It is very likely the PSU is generating electrical noise which is being picked up by the telephone wiring in your home, and more likely the RJ11 cable to the router, which is probably close to one of the USB power sockets.

10Mbps does not just fall off with a power failure. It has to be something changed and introduced more noise.
Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Thu 28-Jul-16 19:16:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The immediate thought has to be what those inbuilt USB mains sockets are all about. I don't think you can assume they aren't the cause. What are they for, and is something now plugged into a couple?

Those USB sockets are used for charging only. Something like these USB sockets The wiring that they were connected to was a spur off the ring at the back of the house and the modem sockets are at the front. And no, nothing is yet plugged into them.

Edited by 69bertie (Thu 28-Jul-16 19:18:45)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jul-16 21:03:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by 69bertie:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Those USB sockets are used for charging only. Something like these USB sockets The wiring that they were connected to was a spur off the ring at the back of the house and the modem sockets are at the front. And no, nothing is yet plugged into them.

Even so, they're switch mode power supplies with mains attached. These supplies can be less stable (and therefore more noisy) with no load on them. It may not be the model you have, but see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos , especially the section from 3:37 to 4:49.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to