General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(committed) Thu 28-Jul-16 23:37:46
Print Post

FTTC popped up years after cabinet enabled

[link to this post]

Hi guys

So my cabinet has been enabled for at least 2 years for FTTC, but I'm more than 1.5 miles away from the actual cabinet (the cabinet is very close to the exchange).

I have been checking the BTW checker several times a month over this period and FTTC has never shown, but today it has appeared.

http://imgur.com/a/rZ2Xm

I'm currently with (I think an LLU service on) Vivaciti, or it may have changed to an ADSL2 package after they dropped TalkTalk? It says ADSL2 anyway on the router connection page

http://imgur.com/a/9SyG1

Anyway, my question is, is there any point in getting FTTC? And would any company even accept an order with an even lower estimated FTTC speed.

Cheers,
Jack
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Jul-16 00:40:09
Print Post

Re: FTTC popped up years after cabinet enabled

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

It says ADSL2+ on your screenshot, at ~10Mbps as opposed to the 3.5-5.5 estimate. ADSL2+ and ADSL2 are far from being the same thing.

That amount above the estimate on ADSL2+ is suspicious. Are you tweaking the SNRM by a huge amount?

Also, I wonder if your cabinet number has changed. Has your speed increased a lot recently and the database hasn't fully caught up?

Given that VDSL2 attenuates much more than ADSL2+ does, whatever the funnies about the ADSL2+ figures I don't see the VDSL2 figures being anywhere near 10Mbps. The estimate for it looks fair enough. Why would you want it, if slower than you have now?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jdowning640
(committed) Fri 29-Jul-16 00:51:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It says ADSL2+ on your screenshot, at ~10Mbps as opposed to the 3.5-5.5 estimate. ADSL2+ and ADSL2 are far from being the same thing.

That amount above the estimate on ADSL2+ is suspicious. Are you tweaking the SNRM by a huge amount?

Also, I wonder if your cabinet number has changed. Has your speed increased a lot recently and the database hasn't fully caught up?

Given that VDSL2 attenuates much more than ADSL2+ does, whatever the funnies about the ADSL2+ figures I don't see the VDSL2 figures being anywhere near 10Mbps. The estimate for it looks fair enough. Why would you want it, if slower than you have now?

Hi Roberto, good to see you are still hanging about here! I remember you helping me out with an issue I had years ago on my line.

My apologies - it's ADSL2+, I didn't even spot the +

Nope, speeds are exactly the same, getting around 8-9Mbps down and close to 1Mbps upload on ADSL2+. I do hope though that the recent addition of the 2 FTTC lines means that I won't be factored out of any decision by BT of where to upgrade next.
My postcode is on this list for "Postcode sectors where work will be completed by June 2017"

You're probably right - I just didn't know whether or not FTTC would be better than ADSL2+ but at this range I take it you're saying that ADSL2+ is the safer, more reliable choice?

Cheers
Jack

Edited by jdowning640 (Fri 29-Jul-16 00:52:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jul-16 10:19:10
Print Post

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

The clues to ADSL2+ being a better bet than VDSL2 are in the checker where the ADSL/ADSL2+ estimates are better than the VDSL2 ones.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to