General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Fri 29-Jul-16 13:50:40
Print Post

VDSL2 modem and Netgear router.

[link to this post]

Cut and paste of a query I have also posted on the Netgear forum.

I have been using a DGND4000 modem/router for some time now on a Plusnet DSL broadband connection. Just updated to fibre broadband and received the Plusnet VDSL2 modem router. It all works but I prefer to use opendns which cannot be set on the PN router. I have managed to get the DGND4000 connected to the Plusnet modem/router but I believe it still uses the Plusnet DNS even though I have set my LAN Adapter and the DGND router to use Opendns. Also I lose all the settings I used to have in the DGND4000 as it has to be set to AP mode.

I am hoping someone may have used the Netgear DM200 modem that can help me here.
If I use the Netgear DM200 and set it to modem only mode and connect the DGDN4000 to the WAN port will I :

a) Be able to select my own DNS settings

b) be able to set up the the DGND4000 with all my old firewall rules etc . In fact treat it as though it was connected as before.

or

Do I have to set the DGND4000 into AP mode again which unhighlights a load of the menu items in the Administration and Advanced setup panels.

Many thanks for any help... Mike

Plusnet user since 2002 !
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jul-16 14:06:29
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 modem and Netgear router.

[re: watsonm] [link to this post]

The DM200 will in bridge mode (modem mode) allow the Ethernet WAN port on the DGND4000 to use PPPoE and thus be in full control and access to all the router functions in it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Jul-16 14:06:42
Print Post

[re: watsonm] [link to this post]

MrS answered it better...

Edited by ian72 (Fri 29-Jul-16 14:07:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Fri 29-Jul-16 15:25:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. (and Ian)

Plusnet user since 2002 !
  Print Thread

Jump to