General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(member) Sat 30-Jul-16 19:10:26
Print Post

Fibre Fail

[link to this post]

My BT FTTC speeds are getting increasingly slower. Today they have slumped to 1.4 mbs! Originally (nine months ago) I was getting around 11.0 mbs. Family who live on the same road, though closer to the cabinet are getting 5.3 mbs on standard ADSL. Help?! Whats going on?

Edited by Speedchaser (Sat 30-Jul-16 19:11:09)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Jul-16 19:29:15
Print Post

Re: Fibre Fail

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

Well most likely there is something wrong.

Firstly, describe the physical set up in your property, what's connected where and how?

Does your router supply any diagnostic stats ?

(member) Sat 30-Jul-16 19:48:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I have BT HH5. No openreach modem as HH5 has built in modem. The computer I'm testing on is plugged directly into the HH5 via cable. I,m not sure how to access my stats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sat 30-Jul-16 23:45:22
Print Post

Would it be worth calling BT?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jul-16 00:28:42
Print Post

What speed were you promised at sign up?
(member) Sun 31-Jul-16 07:26:54
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I took a copy of my order. 22-32Mps. Not that I thought I would get anywhere near that. This morning Speeds have been very jumpy. apprx 2- 7mps. A couple of times the speedtester failed to complete & entire service has dropped out about three times this morning but then reconnected within a minute or two.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Jul-16 07:58:15
Print Post

You've not described the what goes where part, please do, as this can be very important.

How many extension sockets are there in the property ? What happens if you connect directly to the test jack on the NTE ?

Standard User Gadget
(committed) Sun 31-Jul-16 08:02:24
Print Post

From memory you need to log on to the router's UI page and navigate to the Troubleshooting.....Helpdesk option
(member) Sun 31-Jul-16 08:22:13
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

I have the openreach entrance point/initial connection on the wall. Connected directly to this is a line to my cordless phone base, and above that ( from same square wall socket) a connection to my HH5. From HH5. One gig ehternet port runs directly to one computer via ethernet cable. Another gig ethernet runs to a home plug through which I connect other devices with other homeplugs in the house.The homeplugs are not a new addition. I am currently testing my line from the computer directly attatched to the HH5 by ethernet cable. To be honest though, devices conected via home plugs never showed any significant drop. ie if I get 8mps via ethernet cable I would get pretty much that by homeplugs.

Edited by Speedchaser (Sun 31-Jul-16 08:25:49)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Jul-16 09:02:50
Print Post

So, this 'initial connection', does it have a detachable lower front plate ?

How many other sockets, with or without anything connected, are there in the property ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to