General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Mon 01-Aug-16 13:51:29
Print Post

TalkTalk speed has gone from 38 to 30mb over 12 months

[link to this post]

I used to be with Plusnet fibre on their "upto 76mb" I used to get a steady 43mb. When they brought in their upto 38mb unlimited I switched to that as it was £5 a month cheaper - I then got a steady 38mb. 12 months ago I moved to TalkTalk fibre and was getting a steady 38mb - for the first few months.Since then it has been dropping first to 33mb now it is 30mb. Could this be the result of take up of fibre on the cabinet - or are TT saving a bit of capacity and tweaking peoples' speed down, bit by bit over time - would this be possible/practical?
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 01-Aug-16 14:39:35
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk speed has gone from 38 to 30mb over 12 months

[re: Sir_Jasper] [link to this post]

The ISP have no control over DLM, so there's no tweaking from them.

I'd probably put it down to crosstalk. What range of speeds does the BT Wholesale DSL checker report for your line/address?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Aug-16 15:47:06
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

And are the speeds mentioned actual connection speeds or the results of speed tests?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Mon 01-Aug-16 16:35:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
And are the speeds mentioned actual connection speeds or the results of speed tests?

I just do a speedtest every now and then.

This is a test result just done with BT Wholesale checker:

https://s32.postimg.org/lg3av1yhh/bt_test.jpg

the "Further Diagnostics" option isn't working for me at the moment.

But this is from a Plusnet test 18 months ago.

https://s32.postimg.org/easwxfbed/speed1.jpg

I'm not that concerned about the drop 30Mb is fine. I was just curious about the cause of the drop - at this rate it will probably be 25mb by the time my 18 month contract is up next February.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Aug-16 16:44:54
Print Post

Nothing strange regarding the ISP.

It will most likely be crosstalk due to increased uptake and DLM will be adjusting the speed down accordingly. There is nothing you can do as such, I doubt moving ISP will change things since DLM would behave the same.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 01-Aug-16 16:45:07)

Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Mon 01-Aug-16 17:04:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

These are the broadband stats from the Router:

https://s31.postimg.org/ycmnkoh3f/broadband_stats.jpg
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 01-Aug-16 18:54:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sir_Jasper:
This is a test result just done with BT Wholesale checker:

https://s32.postimg.org/lg3av1yhh/bt_test.jpg

the "Further Diagnostics" option isn't working for me at the moment.

But this is from a Plusnet test 18 months ago.

https://s32.postimg.org/easwxfbed/speed1.jpg

I'm not that concerned about the drop 30Mb is fine. I was just curious about the cause of the drop - at this rate it will probably be 25mb by the time my 18 month contract is up next February.
All the Further diagnostics does is retrieve your IP Profile and draw the pretty graphs. No extra diagnosing.

On a TalkTalk connection there is no IP Profile. It is entirely a BT Wholesale feature. Hence, no Further diagnostics.

I note that on Plusnet you were on an 80/20 sync'ed at ~46Mbps. (Calculated from the P Profile of 44.64Mbps). A speed test result of 35.94Mbps against that is rather poor!

I suspect that even if there is an external problem you have quite a big domestic one. That may have got worse.

Are you testing wired or wireless, and have you added or replaced any electrical or electronic kit since you were getting the 38Mbps that is to be expected on that line?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 01-Aug-16 18:59:06
Print Post

(You hadn't posted your stats when I started drafting my previous post.)

You have heavy interleaving there, which causes the sort of sync speed drop that you are experiencing. Not only downstream, but it is very rare for the upstream to be anything but fast path.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Mon 01-Aug-16 22:13:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You have heavy interleaving there, which causes the sort of sync speed drop that you are experiencing.

As far as I understand interleaving on fibre and DLM has nothing to do with the ISP - it is controlled by Openreach. So,this is something I just have to accept? Is there anything I could do to try and improve things or at least stop speeds dropping any lower? Is it just coincidence that I am having this issue now that I am with TalkTalk and it would have just as likely been a problem if I were still with Plusnet? There appeared to be no such issue during my 18 months with them.

NB: All the speedtests I have done have been with a wired connection - I don't use wifi.

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Mon 01-Aug-16 22:27:05)

Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Tue 02-Aug-16 03:09:26
Print Post

Have you checked all your internal wiring and checked the telephone to see if there is any noise?

I would be concerned its a line fault with such aggressive interleaving.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to