General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thebigdolphin1
(regular) Fri 05-Aug-16 00:38:15
Print Post

How do rollout "phases" work?

[link to this post]

I'm referring to the data which can be seen on CodeLook (and elsewhere I'm sure). I've always seen it but never actually understood what the phase code ("15b" for example) means.

Does it actually have any meaning, such as the order of the work done ("15b" cabinets will be activated before moving onto "16a"), or is it just a simple reference to the expected completion date?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 05-Aug-16 08:31:38
Print Post

Re: How do rollout "phases" work?

[re: thebigdolphin1] [link to this post]

Expected completion date. Some cabinets were started years ago and are still not active.
Standard User NJSS
(learned) Fri 05-Aug-16 08:45:37
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Some cabinets were started years ago and are still not active.

When you "started" do you mean erected & then left?

NJSS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Aug-16 09:13:48
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

In some cases it doesn't get as far as the cabinet being stood because it turns out that there is a problem with the fibre run (such as a blocked duct or earlier work the cabinet was to have built upon that failed), power (slower, more difficult and/or expensive than thought), planning permission (for the small number of cabinets that require it), lack of engineering resources, the need to prioritise BDUK work to meet a BDUK coverage deadline or something else unforeseen.

The phases indicate the work that was planned to take place simultaneously. As that work moves towards delivery, there will be a myriad of reasons why particular cabinets and FTTP areas slip from the original planned date. In some cases, the difficulties are such that the planned work is abandoned, in some cases after part of the work has been completed. There are cases of part complete cabinets that stand for several years - mine was one of these before it was eventually completed. I'm fairly certain there have been a few cabinets that were stood and subsequently removed, typically because it proved impossible to get a power feed at a reasonable price.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
(member) Fri 05-Aug-16 12:37:28
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

The reason I started the thread is because I want to know if the activation of my cabinet within the next few weeks is likely - there's only two more 15b cabinets remaining on my exchange - an almost completed BDUK one, and mine (which had work abandoned years back and made no progress since the build stage). The next set of cabinets are all BDUK, which are marked as phase "16a", the earliest expected completion is by November 2016.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Aug-16 13:01:18
Print Post

Phase dates relate to the batch there were announced as on the plan, as for when an individual is done

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Fri 05-Aug-16 13:15:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My cabinet used to be in phase 9b (or something similar) years back, why has it moved up to 15b?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Aug-16 13:17:26
Print Post

May have dropped off the plan for a reason unknown and as things change is back in the plans.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Fri 05-Aug-16 13:25:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

A few months back, there was a set of roadworks for my cabinet relating to the installation of fibre ducting, however as soon as there was less than a week to go until the scheduled works was due to take place they would be removed and re-listed the next day, the date being pushed back 15-30 days. This continued multiple times until a month or two ago, when they no longer scheduled any more work plans for my cabinet.

Is it likely that this is because of a fault, or simply an issue with having to allocate time elsewhere (such as the local BDUK projects)?

Apologies for bombarding you with questions, but I've been asking Openreach for the past month and failed to get any useful response. Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Aug-16 14:04:37
Print Post

Impossible to say why the works did not go ahead, it could be as simple as another job over running and due to the penalties for doing that, rather than start late and overrun on a second set of roadworks they just cancelled yours.

Faults in an area also take precedence but depends a lot on the people actually doing the work, e.g. some ducting install is by third party contractors.

In short without actual access to the job sheets for an area impossible to say for sure.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to