General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tivo_lad
(learned) Tue 09-Aug-16 19:11:11
Print Post

Will FTTC realise a speed boost?

[link to this post]

I currently have an ADSL2+ product on my home telephone line which is in a rural location. Exchange line is about 3.5Km and I reckon about 2.3Km to the cabinet from the house (so 1.2 Km between exchange and cabinet).

The BT Wholesale checker says I should get 3-7Mbps downstream range (and up to 4Mbps downstream line rate) on my line but for the past three years I've got a consistent 8Mbps throughput (measured by SamKnows) and the router shows a sync speed of up to 10Mbps (although that normally stabilises at just over 9Mbps).

The same line shows 5.3-9Mbps downstream line rate on VDSL Range A on the BT Wholesale Checker.

So I'm wondering whether I would actually get any speed improvements by moving to VDSL? The "on the ground" ADSL performance is better than the checker would suggest, but could I also expect VDSL to perform better as well, or would the extra sensitivity of VDSL mean I might only see the "as advertised" speed i.e. no better than I have today with ADSL2+?

I obviously don't want to end up paying more for VDSL but get no better performance than I have today on ADSL2+. Any thoughts on this situation much appreciated!

Edited by tivo_lad (Tue 09-Aug-16 19:12:34)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-16 19:52:45
Print Post

Re: Will FTTC realise a speed boost?

[re: tivo_lad] [link to this post]

MrSaffron may well be able to give a more informed view, but I think that FTTC will give you very little at that distance from the cabinet with those estimates. I think you'll land up paying more for no benefit - indeed, you might even finish up with a worse connection than you have now.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:20:53
Print Post

[re: tivo_lad] [link to this post]

I think with those stats it'll be better the devil you know.

I'd hang out for LR-VDSL.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Aug-16 23:40:27
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Agreed stay with the ADSL service

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to