General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrbaba
(newbie) Wed 10-Aug-16 17:19:14
Print Post

New Build - No Fibre, but fibre nearby

[link to this post]

I'm looking at moving to Devon and have been looking at new builds.
One thing that concerns me is I've found a development I like, but there only seems to be fairly slow ADSL on the line.

Here's the link - https://www.redrow.co.uk/developments/otter-grange-o...
Postcode is EX11 1EL.
I notice that the exchange and surrounding areas all have FTTC but it seems this area was missed off during construction. The lowest numbered houses seem to have fibre, but they're not in the development, they're on the street leading into the area.

I've looked at BT's where and when site, which just shows exploring solutions.
Does anyone know if/when fibre is coming to the area?
I've checked connecting Devon and Somerset's site, who seem to suggest that the area is covered.
BT seem to think otherwise.
Any help is appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Aug-16 17:52:49
Print Post

Re: New Build - No Fibre, but fibre nearby

[re: mrbaba] [link to this post]

New builds will have missed the CDS market review for phase 1. Was the postcodes EX11 1FJ and a couple of others than form cabinet 11 and are so new that Streetmap just places them into an empty field in the market review documents for the phase 2 project where the contracts are still in procurement.

Unfortunately a lot is dependent on how well the developer engaged with Openreach, in some areas we do see full FTTP being rolled out to new builds, but if a developer just does the default you get the standard USO phone line service.

So for now if broadband is important cross those homes off the list.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrbaba
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-16 09:38:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the speedy reply.

That doesn't sound positive at all.
To not even have any indication and be in procurement at the moment does sour me on the houses.
The move in date wouldn't be until the end of next year. Is there a reasonable chance something will be sorted by then?
I could put up with slow broadband for about a year, as long as I knew faster speeds were on their way.

I think you're right, the developer didn't liase with BT at time of construction, very annoying!

We're also looking at this development - https://m.dwh.co.uk/new-homes/united-kingdom/H710501... postcode is EX111PN.
Which is coming soon, is there any info on fibre going into this development?

Thanks.

Edited by mrbaba (Thu 11-Aug-16 09:43:24)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Aug-16 13:51:28
Print Post

They only expect to sign contracts by end of 2016 for CDS phase II so probably first improvements in summer 2016 and then might be later and then no guarantee that you will be included and also what technology will used.

On that postcode the Barratt site office has VDSL2 via cabinet 1 which is not far away, suggesting new homes will probably be on the same cabinet, that is a suggestion and not a guarantee. All depends on how many homes are being built.

If it was me looking to move then I'd only move to a premise where it was clear I could order a service at the speeds I'd be happy with (connectivity in a show home or sales office is not a guarantee).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrbaba
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-16 18:21:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again for the reply.

I've sent some questions to CDS but don't expect to hear too much.

As for the second development it's going to be around 40 houses. Is that a good or bad sign?
It does seem promising that there is FTTC going into the sales office and all around the site.
Cheers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Aug-16 18:52:23
Print Post

CDS will only be state if it was in scope for consideration as part of phase 2, with no contracts signed they cannot say whether you will be helped.

40 is probably ok in terms of number, if had been a smaller number would have said unlikely to be an issue, and if 100+ I'd have said unlikely to be on the same cabinet.

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sat 13-Aug-16 08:21:52
Print Post

its seems that neither the Redrow Develoment (PCP11) or the Bovis Development (PCP12) both new copper cabs created in last 12 - 15 months probably)

the DWH development might be alright as it possible connected to pcp 1 but speeds may not be good and the capacity might be in issue (seems a way from PCP 1
Standard User mrbaba
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-16 21:26:42
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Not great news all around then.

With the DWH development is there anyway of telling how much capacity the fibre cab has?
How can you tell where the cab is? I looked on codelook and it looks like the cab is very close to development.
Thanks for all the help.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sun 14-Aug-16 06:50:07
Print Post

Have you spoken to either of the developers about the arrangements they've made or our making?

SSE - 80/20
Standard User mrbaba
(newbie) Sun 14-Aug-16 10:22:37
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I've spoken to Red Row who weren't very helpful and just blamed BT for not installing anything at launch. I didn't like to point out it was actually their fault for not getting them in earlier.
For the DWH build, the site office and show homes aren't built yet, so no one to ask!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to