General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Graddieaddie
(newbie) Fri 12-Aug-16 09:08:22
Print Post

Understanding CodeLook

[link to this post]

Hi
I've looked up my number on CodeLook and drilled down to look up postcodes in my area. What does the end column 'cabinet' mean please? It says P2 100%. I assume P2 is the cabinet number, as I'm told I'm connected to local cabinet no. 2, but what does 100% mean?
Thanks
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 12-Aug-16 09:12:05
Print Post

Re: Understanding CodeLook

[re: Graddieaddie] [link to this post]

100% of that postcode is connected to that cabinet.

Sometimes a postcode is served by multiple cabinets.
Standard User Graddieaddie
(newbie) Fri 12-Aug-16 09:22:10
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Thank you very much. Simple when you know!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Aug-16 09:57:28
Print Post

[re: Graddieaddie] [link to this post]

If you go to the Royal Mail Postcode facility; and key in that Postcode, you will get a good idea of the quantity of premises, so likely phone installations in that Postcode.

Repeating that exercise for any other Postcode associated with that PCP, will give you a reasonable idea of the total quantity of lines in that PCP.

I did that for my local PCP, assuming only 50% for Postcodes shared over other PCPs, 100 % otherwise, coming to a likely total of 300.

Subsequent research revealed an actual total apparently of 287 lines - so a reasonable match in the circumstances.

-----

Also reassuring wrt to the associated FTTC which has an absolute capacity of 288, 96 actually available at present; and about 65 upgrades actually installed.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Aug-16 21:55:07
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
I did that for my local PCP, assuming only 50% for Postcodes shared over other PCPs, 100 % otherwise, coming to a likely total of 300.

Subsequent research revealed an actual total apparently of 287 lines - so a reasonable match in the circumstances.

-----

Also reassuring wrt to the associated FTTC which has an absolute capacity of 288, 96 actually available at present; and about 65 upgrades actually installed.

I did that for my entire exchange, BT Wholesale wasn't too please LOL, but I found out who and how many used what cabinet and who had fibre or not.

All I checked was 30K addresses, 1 every 5 seconds which would take about 41h 40m to complete, which got split up over 7 days.

Like I said BT Wholesale wasn't too please with this and they ended up changing their checker usage policy tongue

Paul
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Aug-16 02:12:58
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Interesting and obviously much more detailed than my efforts, Paul.

Shows what can/could be done, with published information.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Aug-16 02:26:22
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Interesting and obviously much more detailed than my efforts, Paul.

Shows what can/could be done, with published information.
Well I am a software and hardware engineer and all it took was packet sniffing to see what was sent and received and then its possible to write your own app to do the same but in bulk.

But what the BT Wholesale then did was block the IP that did X amount of requests in a set time LOL.

I have done the same with the Openreach Where and when page LOL, they are more crafty where they use token hashes that need to be correct LOL.

Not seen any issues with the Openreach where and when page that gives off more info than the BT Wholesale site like the NADKey's and District ID's for a requested postcode.

All interesting stuff, but it was very fun learning what and how they did stuff smile

I was going to create a checker with a built in roadwork map layout, so you would enter your postcode and select the full address and from that you can get the location to be used on google maps and the roadworks site where you just list jobs to-do with the local council and BT.

But ended up changing my mind when BT Wholesale moaned at me, I cannot have roadworks and openreach moaning at me before they install my fibre LOL.

Where did you think most of my information came from when I posted this:

BT Wholesale Exchange Information.
  • Exchange Name: Yelverton
  • Exchange Code: WWYELV
  • County: Devon
  • Total Connections: 4,106 (approximate)
  • Cabinet: EO
    • FTTP: 0
    • FTTC: 0
    • ADSLx: 252
    • None: 0

• Cabinet: 1
    • FTTC: 401
    • ADSLx: 0

• Cabinet x...

• Cabinet: 12
    • ADSLx: 80
    • None: 2

• Cabinet: 13
    • ADSLx: 138

• Detected 12 Issues.
All above information is correct at time of 03:28 11-Sep-2015.

Detected Issues could be stuff like:
Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker.

I even had an export to forum code button tongue

I now can only get to about 400 checks and it results in a blocked IP frown so no more point doing the bulk checks.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 13-Aug-16 02:38:01)

Print Thread

Jump to