General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(member) Mon 15-Aug-16 17:38:48
Print Post

TalkTalk Fibre installed, 2mbps speed

[link to this post]

Just helping out a friend get TalkTalk fibre installed today and the router is only syncing at 2.1mbps

the DSL checker estimated that it would be in the following ranges:

Clean: 13.1 - 19.2 mbps
Impacted: 5.8 - 16.5 mbps

Now I know that things can improve during the initial DLM, but the max attainable reported by the router being as low as 2500 is worrying me

Line stats are as follows:
DSL synchronization status: Up
Connection status: Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 1009
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 2107
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 1009
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 2564
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6.1
Upstream interleave depth: 1
Downstream interleave depth: 1
Line standard: VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 11.5
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 29.3
Upstream output power (dBm): 0.4
Downstream output power (dBm): 1.7
Channel type: Fast
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 15-Aug-16 18:25:08
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Fibre installed, 2mbps speed

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Connected to the test socket?
Standard User connormill
(member) Mon 15-Aug-16 18:41:33
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Connected to the test socket?

Doesn't have one

Cable comes in to an old BT Junction box which is split to 3 sockets throughout the house

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User solchain
(regular) Mon 15-Aug-16 19:08:59
Print Post

My advice = leave well alone, wait the 10 days (although it makes no odds but they wont help till you do) see how it is and hopefully it wont improve and you'll get an engineer out.

The more you mess with it the worse it could get.

What did TalkTalk say you would get?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Aug-16 19:10:39
Print Post

That needs reporting to TalkTalk to get the wiring fixed, for free if they play fair. In the days of engineer installs it would have been done automatically.

Things do not improve on the initial DLM.
2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management
Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability). It does this for as long as the product exists.
At provision, the line is put on “wide open” VDSL2 line profiles allowing the upstream and downstream line speeds to run at the upper limit of the product option selected.
BT SIN 498.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User connormill
(member) Mon 15-Aug-16 21:50:10
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by solchain:
My advice = leave well alone, wait the 10 days (although it makes no odds but they wont help till you do) see how it is and hopefully it wont improve and you'll get an engineer out.

The more you mess with it the worse it could get.

What did TalkTalk say you would get?

I can't remember what was quoted when he signed up but the talktalk.co.uk site shows minimum guaranteed as 3, estimated as between 5-16

If things don't improve then i would like to get new VDSL NTE5 installed where the line enters and I'll run a cat5 from the VDSL port to the TalkTalk router

I'd be [censored] off if 2.5mb is all it gets, I was never expecting loads as its a long way from the cab but 2.5 is less than his old DSL
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 15-Aug-16 22:09:01
Print Post

It does happen where ADSL outperforms at longer distances.

With a range of 5-16 hopefully there's something an Openreach engineer can do.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Aug-16 00:17:02
Print Post

There's something wrong with those power figures. Either they are very low or the router is misreporting them.

Mine are typical values:-
SNR (dB): 5.9 6.0
Attn(dB): 19.9 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.5 7.4

Ignore the 10 days. That is a BT Wholesale thing, quite apart from being untrue. Get onto TalkTalk, because if you have three extensions running off a junction box before the master (one of them will be an old style master) you have bridge taps, which are bad news on ADSLx and frequently disaster on FTTC.

Make sure you tell them about the wiring. Not just the poor speed. Also query the power figures perhaps, in case the router is faulty.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-16 00:31:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Couldn't the OP ask for a boost engineer to be sent out?
They will check everything and will try their best to get the most out of the line.

I had one for my ADSL2+ connection a month or two ago, it didn't improve anything for us here, but he replaced all boxes (BT80, NTE5A + all faceplates) etc.

Worth a try.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Aug-16 01:31:50
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I have a feeling TalkTalk have some sort of arrangement with Openreach whereby they can send "their own" engineers to many problem reports, similar to Openreach themselves using Kelly's and Quinn's for FTTC domestic installation in the recent past.

Only if the TT engineer finds there is a genuine line problem do they call Openreach.

( I could be entirely wrong about this, but there have definitely been reports on here that look as if that has happened).

Assuming I'm right then the first thing a TT person will do is regularise that wiring. Free.
Edit: typo.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 16-Aug-16 08:48:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to