General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Aug-16 15:28:44
Print Post

Fibre Splitter Node for FibreDP Hardware ATT: Zarjaz

[link to this post]

Hey Zarjaz

I have a question about the Splitter Node.

As you might already know this, but we can now order FTTP which I did on Friday 12th August, which is due to go live on the 26th August.

We had our first engineer visit on Monday 15th August to install the fibre, I was really shocked on how quick this visit was booked, maybe it was due to Gavin Patterson got involved.

Sadly there was a build issue frown

Basically our fibres on our FibreDP hardware is in the wrong tray in the splitter node, so they couldn't complete our first install.

How easy would it be for them to resolve this issue?

There is only 1 line on that splitter node which is currently using fibre that is on our FibreDP Hardware, so you wouldn't be able to move them anyway due to it would interrupt that homes broadband connection and phone line.

I said couldn't they just write on the trays in the splitter node to say what FibreDP hardware that tray is connected to.

How often does this happen and does it gets fixed quick, due to like I said its down as to be live on the Friday 26th August.

There has already been other homes that have ordered fibre on our hardware which are all in the same boat as us and I would hate for us to be the left out due to our install being rescheduled and end up being done last to find out there is no more fibres.

It would be like a kick in the face considering it was me that put all the hard work in over the last 4 or so years, to get it to this stage with the help of my local MP.

Or are the fibres allocated when the order is placed.

Paul
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Aug-16 21:23:15
Print Post

Re: Fibre Splitter Node for FibreDP Hardware ATT: Zarjaz

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Basically our fibres on our FibreDP hardware is in the wrong tray in the splitter node, so they couldn't complete our first install.

This doesn't sound like an accurate description of a problem that would stop a step one install.

As long as the fibre from the DP node actually gets to the correct splitter node, where it arrives doesn't actually matter, the only issue is that it would be incorrect on records.

All that needs doing is a light source put on at the DP, or at the CSP and trace it to the splitter.

There is an MDU site I work at where the fibres from the DP don't come up as routed on the splitter node. You simply adopt the above process, and provide service, and then ring the fibre routing team and have them manually update the records.

The above is why the problem with yours might be something else OR you got a reet numpty of a 1st stage bod, there are some noobs out there.

* Hopefully Bob will be posting a link to a splitter node's guts shortly, then I can describe the above a little clearer.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 21:31:48
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That'll teach me to sleep on the job. Starting work on it now. blush

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Aug-16 21:48:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hang on Bob .... will this do ?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Aug-16 21:55:11
Print Post

It will......

The red trays contain the 'feed' fibres, the 'E-sides' if this were a copper cabinet. They are all lit/live.

The white trays beneath contain the (2 per tray) fibres from the DP nodes.

You take a live fibre from the red tray out and threadle it down to the correct tray , make the splice wind it all in, sorted.

If the fibre from the DP node comes up on the incorrect tray, no problem, just connect that up and correct the records.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 22:15:45
Print Post

With luck, on the same link, all the newer pics are also present now.

I'll try to get them on a website page within a week, but not right now.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Aug-16 23:02:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This one shows a DP tray open and on display. (and my trusty Sumitomo splicer)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 23:14:31
Print Post

Looking at the flagstones in the background you may have been "Just splicing in the rain, all alone and blue".

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Aug-16 08:56:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

This doesn't sound like an accurate description of a problem that would stop a step one install.

As long as the fibre from the DP node actually gets to the correct splitter node, where it arrives doesn't actually matter, the only issue is that it would be incorrect on records.

Thats what I thought, I was explaining it to one of my neighbours (which also ordered it the same time as me) that it shouldn't stop them doing the first install and all the engineer needed to do is just pick a fibre at the DP and use that.

And when the second engineer visit happens, all they would need to do is find out what fibre that was the other end and update the record to that fibre for that home, simple.

So does this happen a lot, or is this rare?

All that needs doing is a light source put on at the DP, or at the CSP and trace it to the splitter.

Well I did suggest a similar way of installing it all and on the second visit stick a light source on the fibre in our home and go to the other end (I said the exchange), where he did say that they wouldn't need to go to the exchange and all they would need to go to was the splitter.

So I was very close tongue

There is an MDU site I work at where the fibres from the DP don't come up as routed on the splitter node. You simply adopt the above process, and provide service, and then ring the fibre routing team and have them manually update the records.

The above is why the problem with yours might be something else OR you got a reet numpty of a 1st stage bod, there are some noobs out there.

Well all I know is there is loads of fibres at our DP and they are all going to our splitter node the bottom of our road, the engineer has confirmed that, he just said our DP (might mean all our DP's down our road) is using the wrong trays in the splitter node and that it need to be corrected before they can progress.

I did say just mark on the splitter trays what DP they are connecting to, but that wouldn't resolve the records issue.

What I am really worried about is other people on our hardware i.e. phone pole are also now ordering FTTP.

And due to I was the first to order (apart from the home 4 doors down) I am worried that where this issue is there my live date of the 26th August might get rescheduled to a later date and by then if the issue gets resolved the others gets theirs first and by the time of my re-scheduled order (if it gets rescheduled) there won't be any available fibres.

Like I said it would be a kick in the face after all the hard work I have put in (i.e. just under 5 years) and the 2 or so years work my local MP has done for me not to be able to get fibre would suck big time.

Or are the fibres allocated when we place our order?

I am guessing its as soon as the first engineer visit has been completed is when that fibre strand has been allocated.

* Hopefully Bob will be posting a link to a splitter node's guts shortly, then I can describe the above a little clearer.

Just looked at your pictures, so the red ones are the four fibres that get fed into the splitter and the grey trays are for the fibres leaving the splitter, that makes sense.

So each grey tray would house 4 fibres (4 x 32), so I can see what the engineer was saying now, where it was all over the place, our splitter might have fibres from different DP's going to the same tray in the splitter.

But like you said a record change would resolve that issue, the only fibres that are being used on that splitter is four doors from me and that's it.
Our splitter as far as I know is only for the lower part of our road and side roads there, the upper part of our road and those side roads are using a different splitter and are going a different route.

So a record is defiantly the best route to go and that could be either done all now or when the order is placed or on the first or second visit.

Paul
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Aug-16 15:41:13
Print Post

I posted this a long time back, with the installation guide to the splitter node included:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4375161-fibre...

Page 2 has a layout guide to the different trays...

From the labelling, and matching to your photo, it looks like the trays above the red ones could be a source of problems.

The top-most one (label E8) looks to hold spare E-side fibre, for use when the second splitter device gets added.

The next 5 trays (label E3 - E7) say they hold spare D-side fibre... presumably not yet routed down into the live "address point" trays.

What if all the D-side fibres have been stored in the top set of trays, and haven't yet been routed down into the live ones? Would you just move them yourself?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to