General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nigelkili
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-16 21:48:21
Print Post

new green cabinets ?

[link to this post]

Hi --- Does anyone know if Openreach will be installing new cabinets for high speed fibre connections. I am on fibre but because of the distance from the green cabinet I struggle to get 10-12 mb. I personally believe Open Reach could fix this....My in laws 10 houses up from me went from 10mb on fibre to 33 mb with a part replaced in the cabinet....OP wont entertain this for me because my service is running

In order to meet the official high speed definition of 24mb will open reach have to install more cabinets closer ?

any thoughts..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Aug-16 22:07:58
Print Post

Re: new green cabinets ?

[re: nigelkili] [link to this post]

Replacing a part in an existing fibre cabinet and increasing speeds sounds like fixing a fault, which is very different to adding an infill cabinet.

Generally infill cabinets only happen when someone who is not Openreach wants to foot part of the bill.

As for hitting the targets, depends on which target and which project you are referring to. Many parts of the UK have sufficient main cabinets still to be enabled that the bulk of work is on those.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nigelkili
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-16 19:43:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes i realise the difference. I am referring to the High Speed definition of 24mb

I do not get that and never will unless a Green box is deployed closer to where my house is That was my question - would it be likely that OR will have to deploy more cabinets at some point..

Open Reach will not replace any part unless there is a physical fault, which there isnt but noone can explain why I get 10mb and my in laws get 30 mb - - yet only 100 metres apart on the road services by the same cabinet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Aug-16 20:17:42
Print Post

[re: nigelkili] [link to this post]

Openreach already are installing more cabinets to address situations like yours.
What you really want to know is are they likely to do that for your location?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Aug-16 20:35:46
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

To original poster

100m on same road can be several hundred metres of difference sometimes.

Have you compared the connection speeds and attenuation and noise margin figures from the two modems? Also have you ruled out any effects due to extension wiring by testing the connection with the test socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to