General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User scarey1059
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-16 20:18:50
Print Post

40 Vs 80MB fibre broadband

[link to this post]

Hi,

Currently I have a 40MB fibre broadband service and get around 22MB due to the distance from the street cabinet.

I'm looking to change my service provider and noticed the new provider offers an 80MB service for very little more than their 40MB service. When I expressed interest in their 80MB service the provider told me it was no good to me as I would still only get the same speed as I would get with the 40MB service as that is the speed for my line.

Apparently I was wrong in thinking that I would get around twice the speed of the 40MB service if I went for the 80MB service.

Is what the provider is telling me correct?
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 18-Aug-16 20:21:45
Print Post

Re: 40 Vs 80MB fibre broadband

[re: scarey1059] [link to this post]

That's correct.

It's the same technology, the only difference is software limits the connection rate to either 40/55 or 80meg depending on what the service provider buys from Openreach.

If you're not hitting the cap on the 40meg service nothing will change by increasing the cap.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 18-Aug-16 20:32:00
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

+1

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Aug-16 20:33:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

+1

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User solchain
(regular) Fri 19-Aug-16 10:57:17
Print Post

[re: scarey1059] [link to this post]

Agree with the other posts, but I wanted to add that the 80mb service wont give you any faster download than you do at the moment, but it may increase your upload speed - so if you transfer videos to youtube or send alot of photos to the internet then you may actually want to goto the 80mb service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-16 10:59:58
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

Unless their upload is hitting the 9.5 Mbps limit now, switching to an up to 76 Mbps service will not boost the upload.

With 22 Mbps downloads, would be surprised if they were maxing out the upload on the slow products.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 11:06:17
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

That occurred to me but I ruled it out because of the 22Mbps downstream. It won't be reaching 10Mbps. Barring something badly wrong with the home wiring which would also wreck 80/20.

What I hadn't thought of is if the OP is on, or thinking of moving to Plusnet or TalkTalk. Both only provide up to 2Mbps upstream on the 40Mbps product. Though Plusnet have some legacy 40/10 and 40/20, the 40/20 in the process of transferring to 55/10.

We could do with the OP telling us the two ISPs and the product they are on at the moment.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 19-Aug-16 11:08:53)

Print Thread

Jump to