General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thebigdolphin1
(member) Fri 19-Aug-16 13:06:31
Print Post

Unusual BDUK Works

[link to this post]

I recently contacted my local BDUK team (Superfast South Yorkshire) regarding some of their local projects, and they informed me that a nearby block of houses had their lines switched from exchange-only to cabinet 8 (Ranmoor), the same cabinet as mine. What really surprised me is that cabinet 8 is over a mile away (estimated speeds of 15Mbps), yet there are about 3 or 4 cabinets nearby within 200m.
I thought BDUK projects usually build another cabinet to provide for the lines. Why would they decide to do that?

Edited by thebigdolphin1 (Fri 19-Aug-16 13:10:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-16 13:09:50
Print Post

Re: Unusual BDUK Works

[re: thebigdolphin1] [link to this post]

A lot depends on the existing cable routing, it may that this was the most cost effective way of giving a boost above current speeds that meets USO and future USO requirement.

EO lines don't always get a new cabinet of their own, and some even get FTTP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Fri 19-Aug-16 13:11:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What speeds are the BDUK projects typically aiming for? I thought their plan was for "superfast" speeds of 24Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(regular) Fri 19-Aug-16 13:55:00
Print Post

Depends on the contract agreement between the LA/Government.
If, like some BDUK programmes, have defined areas to receive a minimum speed of 2Mbps then moving some lines in that area to a cabinet some distance away that already has a DSLAM cab attached may be justified by this, if they can then receive more than 2Mbps.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-16 14:01:18
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Also depends on what budget they have set for individual premises too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Fri 19-Aug-16 14:41:57
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Thank you for the information. I thought the USO was to be covered by BT, and the "superfast" 24+Mbps speeds were to be rolled out by the BDUK projects - I guess I was wrong.,
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 14:45:24
Print Post

Are you sure the closer ones are BT, not VM Cable? Pictures.

There are a couple of later BT ones combining PCP and DSLAM provision, often used for EO conversion. They are basically similar to the Huawei ones I think

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(member) Fri 19-Aug-16 14:47:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT is the only provider of cabled broadband within a 1-2 mile radius of my home.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-16 15:22:46
Print Post

BT has not been given a USO objective yet, because it is not law yet and massive debate as to who gets it, and may go to regional bids or even smaller bids.

BUT many of the BDUK projects had multiple targets

e.g. % at over 24 Mbps
% at over 15 Mbps
% at over 2 Mbps

It may be the work to satisfy 1 was too expensive but a cheap rejig meant the 2nd and 3rd could be met.

Standard User Trebby
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-16 16:06:24
Print Post

Did they give any specific info about cabinet 8 upgrade to fttc? Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to