General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MGJ
(regular) Fri 19-Aug-16 19:27:51
Print Post

Infinity 2 from ADSL: Is it this easy?

[link to this post]

So, BT finally offering up FTTC for me, which is great. I have a 15 year old BT engineer install of ADSL, with a master socket that has all the filters in it, and my ADSL runs off an extension wire that BT fitted at the time to my study.

BT supposed to do the install this morning but apparently the cabinet wasn't wired up or some such. BT call centre in India says that the work will be done tonight by 11 pm, which sounds unlikely. Anyway, at the changeover, do I just unplug my old Netgear Modem/Router and plug the RJ11 cable into the new HomeHub and it just works at a much faster speed without touching the master socket? Seems a bit too easy.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 19:33:23
Print Post

Re: Infinity 2 from ADSL: Is it this easy?

[re: MGJ] [link to this post]

Yes. It is that easy!

Depending on how the ADSL engineer wired that extension, which is probably fine, you should get near the top of clean estimate from this checker. What estimates does it give you? (A copy and paste of the two VDSL2 lines will do, don't worry about the formatting smile).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 19-Aug-16 19:33:49)

Standard User MGJ
(regular) Fri 19-Aug-16 20:12:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, lets hope so. I'll use the HomeHub as a modem at first and migrate all my services (printer, network drives etc) later.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 20:17:23
Print Post

Good luck smile. Let us know how it goes. And how amazing the speed is. (What were your estimates from the link I gave by the way?)

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User MGJ
(regular) Fri 19-Aug-16 21:25:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Says

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 79.7 20 20 -- Waiting list -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 64.7 20 18.4 -- Waiting list -- --

We'll see.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 19-Aug-16 21:41:34
Print Post

Suspect it'll be a while before you get service yet, it's showing as waiting list so Openreach will need to install a new line card.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 21:43:22
Print Post

Superb. The likelihood of any problem from your extension wiring almost vanishes.

Uh oh! frown !! !!!

Waiting list may mean it just isn't going to happen right now. It means the cabinet is full. What we don't know is whether the "full" includes you or excludes you.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 21:44:40
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Or someone migrates on it, as that immediately releases the port even if migrating on the same cabinet.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 21:48:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by MGJ:
Says

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 79.7 20 20 -- Waiting list -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 64.7 20 18.4 -- Waiting list -- --

We'll see.
It is possible what you said in your OP, "BT supposed to do the install this morning but apparently the cabinet wasn't wired up or some such. BT call centre in India says that the work will be done tonight by 11 pm, which sounds unlikely" was to do with this. CS trying to explain it to you.

With luck they mean your cabinet is scheduled to get an additional line card tonight. If so, it's unlikely you will be connected tonight but by tomorrow night is a possibility.

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Sat 20-Aug-16 10:42:05
Print Post

Anyway, at the changeover, do I just unplug my old Netgear Modem/Router and plug the RJ11 cable into the new HomeHub and it just works at a much faster speed without touching the master socket? Seems a bit too easy.
its actually slightly easier than that, you can plug the hub in now and use it. it will work with adsl
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to