General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Thu 25-Aug-16 17:44:10
Print Post

BT Openreach Fault Reporting and Test Procedure(s)

[link to this post]

Good evening friends...

Just a question in regards fault reporting and testing.

As of late my Fibre Speed and Line Sync have dropped over half its normal rate(s). The last few days my SamKnows Box has logged low speeds. Last night I decided to reboot my router and it took 3 hours for the line to sync with the exchange. I decided to check my phone and realised that the line was noisy and no dialtone. I decided to wait and run my own tests today, just in case a temporary fault was the issue. I read elsewhere that exchanges up and down the country could experience issues due to network maintenance and that was my reason behind waiting until today, in the hope all would be fine today. I do think use my landline, it normally has no phone connected so this fault could have existed longer than a few days.

I have tried many new filters, running tests connected to the test socket, a new router and new phone with no success.

The line has managed to re-sync after many attempts, the sync rate is low but I've noticed as soon as I try to make a call (even though I have no dialtone) and this drops the fibre connection.

The fault has now been reported and an engineer visit is 8n place for next Tuesday. I wanted to ask, do BT Openreach run any tests or advanced diagnostic tests prior to visiting my property? I don't mean prior to the appointment that day but run tests starting today through to the appointment day and if a fault is found, would they repair earlier if they can do so without visiting?

ISP run a test and reported no problem (I'm sceptable about these ISP tests).

I had a simular problem to this 12 months ago when a contractor connected my fibre bit he managed to mess up all the cabinets wiring and my whole Street had no phone line and/or broadband -good old Kelly Communications! It wouldn't surprise me if they did the same again!

Hope someone can help...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 25-Aug-16 18:47:58
Print Post

Re: BT Openreach Fault Reporting and Test Procedure(s)

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Almost certainly at some point between the test socket (so possibly the connection from outside behind it, which is Openreach's responsibility) and the cabinet line card one wire of the pair has become detached. That gives exactly these symptoms.

I've never heard of it being inside the master, so don't go looking. Unless there is a possibility you have had the test socket off the wall and messed up the connections behind it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Aug-16 10:22:10
Print Post

"I have tried many new filters"

There is little point in doing so, as the xDSL/MODEM route is "Straight-Through", ie electrically exactly the same as connecting your modem directly in to the Test Socket on an NTE5.

Also being "Straight-Through", the Phone signals continue to be available on the MODEM side.

Only the PHONE leg has a filter, an HF Reject type, to prevent the BB signals being loaded/lost in the pre-BB circuitry of telephones, alarms etc.

As you have since discovered, the simple action of connecting a phone revealed the signs of a faulty line (even in pre-BB days), without going to the cost of a new router etc.

Both BT and SKY recommend doing such Quiet Line Tests, 17070, very early in their recommendations to customers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Aug-16 10:49:34
Print Post

This may be a stupid question but you have reported your fault as a voice fault - to whoever you pay your line rental too - and not a broadband fault haven't you?

If your line is suffering noise and no dialtone it needs to be dealt with as a voice fault.

I only ask as you keep mentioning a new router/filters and your fibre connection..

Fixing the voice fault, should fix any problems with your fibre connection.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-16 16:54:58
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

... and a voice fault may end up getting a faster response time. Though I guess "Tuesday" is pretty close in terms of "working days".
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-16 09:56:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry for the late reply, no email updates.

I wondered why my ISP kept saying, "we must ignore the BBC fault and work on the voice side of things - this is now understood.

No, ive not messed around with the wires but noticed today the noise margin has changed significantly but fault remains.

I have a strange setup re: BT Socket;

Because the line comes in behind a radiator pipe, BTO placed a blank plate where it comes in and pulled the thin wires to the top where they've installed the main socket. These wires, should be covered but none are actually showing because the plate and main socket are above one and other. Perhaps over time, they've become loose but nobody ever goes near them and the most part is covered by radiator pipes :/ A bodge job by BTO perhaps . . .

Thanks for your help /all
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Aug-16 10:24:07
Print Post

In noticing the variation today, can that be connected with, say, placing or removing items on the radiator for drying?

Or cleaning around the radiator?
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-16 10:35:58
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

We don't use our radiators to dry clothes, we haven't used our heating for approx 2 months now. I'm always careful when hoovering and it is in an area nobody goes near.

Our electricity just went off and now I'm waiting for the router to re-sync, I'll probably be waiting hours! Once the router does sync, the connection will stay connected :confused:

No gaming today, will have to wait for it to sync frown
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-16 15:23:04
Print Post

L@@ks like it has totally packed up now, it won't sync at all.

I previously managed to get it to sync late at night, I wonder if it will make a difference come 11pm this evening... we shall see.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-16 18:43:39
Print Post

Sounds like you have some kind of high resistance fault between the cabinet and your phone socket. You can rule out any problems at the telephone exchange or with the line between the cabinet and he exchange.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to