General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-16 15:55:00
Print Post

BBC Iplayer et al

[link to this post]

Recently moved to FTTC , Plusnet 40/2 frown and have been having problems with BBC Iplayer and whatever the ITV version is. They work OK on my PC and laptop but the LAN attached Panasonic TV, Humax box and Now TV box all refuse to play. Other apps work e.g. YouTube and 4 on Demand. Thought it might be because I changed the DNS from my ISP default to OpenDNS but no joy. I just get a black screen with circulating icon.

Just wanted to check if anyone else has this issue or if someone can suggest a solution. It used to work OK when I had ADSL but could it be due to the apps on the boxes not being updated.

Plusnet user since 2002 !
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-16 16:51:49
Print Post

Re: BBC Iplayer et al

[re: watsonm] [link to this post]

Works OK here.

We're on 80/20, and our LAN-attached boxes (Panasonic TV, Humax PVR, Humax Youview, NowTV, Amazon Fire TV) all work just fine.

Our router (Billion 8800NL) is set to use Google's DNS server.
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-16 17:04:35
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for letting me know...

Plusnet Fibre 40/2 Netgear DGND4000 and Netgear DM200

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Aug-16 18:32:58
Print Post

Did you change anything on the DGND4000 apart from the DNS settings? (Which shouldn't affect anything).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-16 18:54:13
Print Post

Are you using your own router by any chance? Heard of some issues where users are using their own routers on BT which is to all intents and purposes the same service as Plusnet.

What is your MTU set to?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 26-Aug-16 18:54:32)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Aug-16 19:40:07
Print Post

I have found the online parental controls on BT can stop some IPTV services working. Maybe similar with plusnet
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-16 19:41:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well probably. wink

Originally it was setup to connect with ADSL when we only used standard copper broadband. After the fibre upgrade I had the Plusnet Hub one. I admit I didn't check access to the iplayer then. After a couple of days I switched that into modem only mode and the DGND4000 in router only mode.

Then I decided I would like to be able to setup opendns which the plusnet box didn't allow, so I purchased the Netgear DM200 VDSL modem/router. To get this all working I factory reset both units, checked S/w upgrade, switched the DM200 into modem only mode and connected to the WAN port of the DGND4000. I then set about fixing the port forwarding as required.

Generally everything is now working OK apart from the Iplayer on the TV or via the Humax freesat box (both LAN connected) or the NOWtv box (wireless connected)

I am not aware of any particular setting that would enable/disable the BBC Iplayer especially seeing that the Youtube , netflix and other apps work fine.

I will check by restoring the Plusnet Hub one for a while.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Aug-16 19:46:14
Print Post

I think you may find the three non-working ones have a static local network IP address, which is not valid on the Netgear. Perhaps your ADSL router uses a different subnet.

Have you tried resetting the three devices' LAN connections? Try just one of the first, no point in doing three until you know one works. Netgears are probably using 192.168.0.nn and you may previously have been using 192.168.1.nn

Your PC and laptop will be on dynamic so work fine.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 26-Aug-16 19:50:28)

Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-16 21:11:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your responses guys.

Mtu is set to 1488 on the router and all attached devices have always (ADSL and now VDSL) been allocated a specific IP address by the same router (DGND4000) using the address reservation page.

Checking the Network settings ( IP, DNS and DHCP ) on each device shows that it has been correctly picked up. However I will try not assigning one of them as a test. I have powered off all three non working devices and re established the network settings.

Note the DGND4000 was used on the old ADSL setup as a modem/router where iPlayer worked and is now used on the VDSL setup with a VDSL modem . It has always been on the 192.168.0.xx subnet except for a short time when the Plusnet Hub one was used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard User 10forcash
(learned) Fri 26-Aug-16 22:41:26
Print Post

All the online TV players use a host of tracking third party links, it may be that some of the privacy protecting options in your OpenDNS are preventing access. I have a Panasonic smart TV in it's own VLAN using a public DNS (NOT Google!) whilst everything else uses a local DNS with appropriate blackholed domains. The TV will not connect to iPlayer, ITV Catch up or Demand 5 unless it has unrestricted access to the internet, curiously, 4OD is fine in a walled garden... the connections are all via built in 'apps' in the TV
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to