General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Alucidnation
(learned) Mon 29-Aug-16 12:03:41
Print Post

Varying Speed Test Results.

[link to this post]

Morning all,

Just did a quick test via the BTW site, and i get a 66M download speed with a ping of around 22ms

However, immediately after doing that, i used Speedtest, and while the download speed was near enough the same, i get a ping of 11ms.

Any reason for this difference between the two?

FYI, i'm currently on Plusnets 'new' network, that seems to be a bit of a disaster and looking to jump ship to BT or someone else.

Thanks!

smile
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-16 15:08:26
Print Post

Re: Varying Speed Test Results.

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

Most systems measuring "ping" measure different things. That makes them worthless for comparing results from different systems, so all you can compare is the variation over time from repetitions of one system.

I generally don't trust any of them, and use "ping" and "traceroute" commands on the command-line, windows or Linux.
Standard User Alucidnation
(learned) Mon 29-Aug-16 15:54:36
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Ah ok thanks

Another quick question,....

If I decide to go with bt, do I have to use their homehub or can I stick with the open reach modem and Ubiquiti router I have?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Aug-16 16:53:47
Print Post

You can use your current kit, and then just keep the home hub for testing purposes.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Aug-16 20:27:39
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In addition speedtest.net tends to pick the closest server in terms of latency for the testing if left to its own devices, which can also lower the answer

Also the tests are small packet latency, hence we don't call it a ping but latency, what others call it is down to them

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Mon 29-Aug-16 21:59:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Personally I prefer dslreports speedtest as it tries to check the variation in latency caused by buffer bloat. Very useful when tweaking your routers QoS settings to make sure its optimal. It also seems more consistently accurate, presumably as few people in the UK use it so it doesn't get overloaded.

Or I will just download one of the TBB test files to check single-thread performance in a real-world scenario.

Edited by alexatkin (Mon 29-Aug-16 22:18:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Aug-16 22:52:09
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

We were running internal monitoring of the buffer bloat testing before dslreports went live with theirs, and if you use the non-flash test you will see it reporting buffer bloat try http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

With maximum downloads of 32 threads it will be more consistent, since it should blast its way through many of the possible issues like RWIN, congestion, peering and WiFi issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User roughbeast
(member) Tue 30-Aug-16 09:06:06
Print Post

Re: Varying Speed Test Results. *DELETED*

Post deleted by roughbeast
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Aug-16 09:07:36
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

While about speed tests, a very different provider and issues affecting things may be different.

Print Thread

Jump to