General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Exharris
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-16 12:26:06
Print Post

Moss Side Cabinet 50

[link to this post]

Postcode M16 7HA. Property number 71.

Can anyone tell whether this cabinet will be fibre enabled? Am getting good ADSL2 speeds on Sky currently but keep searching and the checker (link below) Says 'we are exploring solutions'. I live in a block of flats/houses built in around 2003.

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g...

I am quite close to the exchange, but don't know if I am in on an exchange only line or not (not sure how I would tell, the checker says 'cabinet 50' so I assume I am connected to that cabinet, and therefore not an EO line).

Completely mystifies me how a built up residential area like this is not fibre enabled.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Aug-16 16:52:55
Print Post

Re: Moss Side Cabinet 50

[re: Exharris] [link to this post]

Ok, I have just done some very quick checks and your on Exchange MOSS SIDE which is served by Cabinet 50.

Your Exchange only supports FTTC so your fibre speed would depend on how far you are from your cabinet, that's if or when they upgrade the cabinet.

Sadly as far as I can see you not even in scope / current plans to be upgraded, maybe you will be later on, who knows.

This is what Openreach says:
We're working with government and industry to explore ways to bring Superfast fibre to as many people as possible but don't have a plan for your area yet. You might consider co-funding fibre access in your community. Knowing there's a healthy demand in your area can also really help. Register your interest here.

Your best bet is to check if VM is in your area, I have a mate that comes from Manchester and in his area there is huge VM Coverage.

So you might want to check them first, and if or when BT decides on upgrading your cabinet to FTTC you could if you wanted to move over to the BT network then.

Its all about how much speed you want and how much to spend, VM might give you the speed and price you are happy with.

So you will have to do some research.

Paul
Standard User Exharris
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-16 21:56:14
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks, I cannot get virgin media as I live in a block of flats. Looks like I'm stuck with 17mbps! Ah well

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Aug-16 22:41:50
Print Post

[re: Exharris] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Exharris:
Thanks, I cannot get virgin media as I live in a block of flats. Looks like I'm stuck with 17mbps! Ah well
What about HyperOptic they do flats and new builds the last time I checked.

*** update ***
Here is they coverage map where you enter your postcode and fill in their form.
https://www.hyperoptic.com/map/

Also 17Mbps is still good for most things, if we wasn't getting Fibre over the next 2 to 9 days we would love to get that, hell loads of people would too.

Currently we are getting just over a quarter of that speed and that's for 5 people.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 29-Aug-16 22:50:00)

Print Thread

Jump to