General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User inwell
(newbie) Tue 30-Aug-16 18:48:16
Print Post

What type of connection is this ?

[link to this post]

Hi,
I am new to this networking section and new to the forum. Please forgive my ignorance.
As i know BB is delivered through various modes.

1.DSL here i get ADSL modem and copper telephone wires to my home.(DSLAM at telco end)

2.HFC here i get Cable Modem (DOCSIS).... Fiber from operators office to the node near my home and then CoAx to my home where splitter sends one out to my TV and one to Cable Modem

3.FTTH here i get ONU/ Fiber Modem ... Fiber runs all the way from operator to my area and then to my home (WDM at operator end )

Now my operator has offered mi broadband where all the HFC setup is same but he is not offering me internet through that.(no cable modem) Instead he says he has separate CORE which he will be using for internet. But then he is not offering me any ONU/MODEM.
He will be running a CAT5 cable from some location to my home and plug in to normal Wifi router with RJ45 as WAN port.
Query.. : 1. Whats this system will be called ? (no cable modem,no optical modem)
2. What would be the idea behind not using current HFC ?
3.Why would he use another CORE if already one CORE is giving me video signals ?
4.If he is using such setup , what hardware /setup he is missing or he is avoiding ?

Thanks in advance
Sorry for such a long question that too in very first post. Thanks once again
Wishes
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Aug-16 07:36:20
Print Post

Re: What type of connection is this ?

[re: inwell] [link to this post]

Probably what is known as FTTB

Fibre to the building, i.e in apartments this is not uncommon i.e. fibre into the basement and then ethernet to the various flats in the building.

Why not using the coax that is in place, it may be roll-out of a new service to replace an ageing DOCSIS network, i.e. easier to do something new rather than upgrade an old network.

Hard to say for sure when its an overseas service and everyone here is used to what UK operators will be doing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User inwell
(newbie) Wed 31-Aug-16 18:42:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank You Sir..

Small noob question.... How these setups make connection to internet when there is no modem present ? (usually we need modem device to dial / connect to the internet ?)
So how the authentication process will take place ?

regards

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Sep-16 07:35:43
Print Post

It very much depends on what the incoming connection is. The connection coming into your building or into your apartment may already be a digital signal and so no modem would be required - potentially they are delivering ethernet straight to you which is a digital medium.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-16 10:18:55
Print Post

The router is the part that separates your "internal" network, in the property, from the internet and the outside world. It is the router responsible for authenticating your connection with the gateway to the outside world.

A modem is only responsible for converting the data (from the router) into a format suitable for the wired connection: A DSL modem for twisted-pair, or a cable-modem for coax, or an ONT for fibre.

In your case, the wired connection is a simple ethernet one, that routers (some routers, at least) can adapt to without the need for a separate modem.
Standard User inwell
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-16 18:31:55
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thank You Ian and WWWombat

So as i get , i receive the ethernet cat5 cable to my house directly from some sort of Switch / Media converter placed nearby .
Will it be safe to directly attach my PC / Laptop to the Ethernet cable coming to my house (If only one device present of-course) ? Or the router is must ?(for safety ?)
For authentication purpose , the service engg will create a pppoe connection from Network Wizard present in Windows ...I Guess

regards

Edited by inwell (Thu 01-Sep-16 18:33:53)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Sep-16 00:28:11
Print Post

This is more of a generic answer, as I don't think I can be specific without knowing a lot more details.

Here in the UK, people have used a PC directly with PPPoE configured, instead of a router, but I reckon that has been more used to test connectivity or to rule out a fault with their router.

IMO, though, a router with some security options is a far more preferable option.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Sep-16 07:50:53
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

It is possible that there may already be a router where the connection comes in - but as you say it needs a lot more detail.

Personally I would probably use a router even if it was just to provide the NAT firewall capabilities - plus of course it would allow things like tablets and phones to be connected via wifi in future.
  Print Thread

Jump to