General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rjpreston
(newbie) Wed 31-Aug-16 09:20:43
Print Post

Knightwick Cab 4 does / doesnt have FTTC?!

[link to this post]

Hi there. Newbie poster looking for help / guidance / sympathy!

I ordered Infinity a couple of months ago, on our newly-activated FTTC service, but the order was cancelled and never fulfilled. After reading through this forum and (very sadly) comparing pictures of cabinets with the cabinet installed in our village, i am not even sure that we yet have the right cabinet! We only seem to have a single new PCP cabinet (like this one , plus a bare concrete slab presumably waiting for the other (DSLAM?) cabinet to be installed. But if theres no FTTC yet, how come i was able to place an order? Can anyone shed any light?

A bit of context:
* Knightwick (WMKNI) exchange, cabinet 4 @ WR6 5PJ. We were on a EO line until Cabinet 4 was installed in the village very recently.
* The online FTTC availability checker moved through its various steps & finally annouced that orders were being accepted on 1 July
* I placed an order 7 July, with a 'go live' date 21 Jul. I got my shiny new Homehub 6 in the post, but 21 July came and went with no new service!
* Rang BT who (after a lot of time wasting) eventually admitted that the order had been cancelled. To be fair BT tried their hardest, and re-ordered multiple times over several days (23rd to 27th July) - but all were repeatedly cancelled too.
* Then the availability changed from "orders being accepted" to "FTTC available on 30 Aug"), and BT stopped taking orders. In the last day or so, this has changed again to "Waiting List", and this morning there is no mention at all of FTTC ever being avaialble! Perhaps we are the first exchange to have FTTC removed!!!! We'll be reverting back to 56k dial-up if we carry on at this rate.
* Codetool still says that FTTC became available on 1 Jul.

Any ideas? Rob

UPDATE: This is changing by the minute! The BT avaialbiity checker now says "You're in a plan to get Superfast fibre but we haven't started work yet. It'll be built either as part of our fibre programme or through a partnership with your local authority." So it looks like my suspicions are correct and we have still to wait fior the FTTC cabinet to arrive at an unspecified future date!

Edited by rjpreston (Wed 31-Aug-16 09:38:10)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Aug-16 17:05:16
Print Post

Re: Knightwick Cab 4 does / doesnt have FTTC?!

[re: rjpreston] [link to this post]

You wouldn't be the first to have FTTC removed, but this looks like an error with the project management of this job.

Have you tried the Worcestershire BDUK team? If there has been a big error, they may know of things ... and they seem active on their facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/broadbandworcs/

The SFW website has a cabinet status page, which says that cab 4 is "in commissioning", due August ... so that's probably not right either.
http://www.superfastworcestershire.com/cabinet-status
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Aug-16 17:13:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by rjpreston:
comparing pictures of cabinets with the cabinet installed in our village, i am not even sure that we yet have the right cabinet! We only seem to have a single new PCP cabinet (like this one , plus a bare concrete slab presumably waiting for the other (DSLAM?) cabinet to be installed.

One other possibility is that you have been given an "all in one cabinet", rather than a separate PCP. Of course, the all-in-one doesn't look anything like the photo above.

One side is very much narrower than the other:
One in Essex
One in Notts
One in Kitz

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rjpreston
(newbie) Wed 31-Aug-16 18:00:16
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Cheers WWWombat. I agree that project management error is most likely.

Its definitely not an all-in-one cabinet - not unless they've come up with a new design!

Thanks for links. I've been in touch with Superfastworcester previously but they just seem to have access to the same info we do. I'll try them again.
=
But we've been waiting for 2 / 3 / 4+ years for faster broadband, so a bit long to wait is not a problem!
Standard User rjpreston
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-16 21:59:55
Print Post

Strange indeed. I thought I would check again the availability status today. Lo and behold it is now saying that it is available again. So I've ordered it and its due for activation on 20th Sept. I am sceptical whether this will go through - for a start where is the DSLAM cabinet?! 20 days to wait and see what happens!
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Sep-16 23:40:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by rjpreston:
Strange indeed. I thought I would check again the availability status today. Lo and behold it is now saying that it is available again. So I've ordered it and its due for activation on 20th Sept. I am sceptical whether this will go through - for a start where is the DSLAM cabinet?! 20 days to wait and see what happens!
If its a PCP + DSLAM then the DSLAM will be about 10 or so metres from its PCP cabinet.

Try looking around this area.
https://goo.gl/maps/C2QNzYdFAVP2

I think it near the exchange going by the speeds that post code WR6 5PJ gets.

Paul
Standard User solchain
(regular) Fri 02-Sep-16 09:19:23
Print Post

You have loads of roadworks going on by BT, you could always nip along and ask the people doing the work if they have any info, that's what i did when they were doing ours.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Sep-16 21:02:18
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

The build work is complete. There has been an issue within Openreach own data for this cabinet which has hopefully been resolved
Standard User rjpreston
(newbie) Mon 05-Sep-16 19:33:14
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Cheers Ribble.
  Print Thread

Jump to