General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dickyseville
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-16 15:39:28
Print Post

Old copper cables

[link to this post]

Hi,

Is there any way of telling the distance of the old copper run from my house to the local cabinet? I'm interested in knowing roughly how much speed I'm going to loose down the copper before it hits the fibre optic.

Many thanks,
Richard.
Standard User thebigdolphin1
(member) Fri 02-Sep-16 15:48:55
Print Post

Re: Old copper cables

[re: dickyseville] [link to this post]

As far as I'm aware the actual distance information is withheld by Openreach, however BT's checker has a great estimation tool (the VDSL Range A row) - if it shows fibre speeds for you. Cabinets not in any plans or on long copper lines don't show any estimated speed, I believe. The best way to estimate the copper distance would just be by road from the cabinet as theres no public information on the telephone routing.

This graph gives a reasonable estimate on what speed you could expect from a certain distance of copper with FTTC services.

Edited by thebigdolphin1 (Fri 02-Sep-16 15:54:39)

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Sep-16 17:12:43
Print Post

[re: dickyseville] [link to this post]

Whilst not disagreeing with Dolphin in principle, you have to be very wary regarding phone line lengths.

In my case, on a green-field site, the PCP (Phone Distribution Cabinet) is about 40 Metres "across the road".

No obstructions etc.

But the 1968 line wanders to the extent that the original line length is about 250 Metres.

Further compounded by the 2013 FTTC being only 10 Metres away from my house, on the near side of the road - but that link first heads 5 Metres away towards the Exchange, reversing in a U/G chamber to then head towards the PCP - thus making my VDSL feed about 300 Metres total.

-------

And I am very aware of similar "anomalies" with the phone lines of others.

-------

Basically, there is virtually nothing that you can do about such wanderings, other than making yourself aware of them.

But in the meantime, you should make sure that your line is "clean" (including within your house etc), using the Quiet Line Test.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MC31
(learned) Sat 03-Sep-16 22:35:28
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

PCP = Primary Connection Point.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
  Print Thread

Jump to