General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 02-Sep-16 21:39:06
Print Post

Quickest cabinet?

[link to this post]

The cabinet that serves my parents was installed and accepting orders within around 3 weeks. Never known it so quick!

Anyone seen a quicker one?

On the other hand, the pavement for the cabinet I'm served by was spray painted in April and still no signs laugh
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-16 01:58:59
Print Post

Re: Quickest cabinet?

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

I've heard about equally fast stuff on here, admittedly it's quite rare though. I suppose it depends on how you look at it, a new-build estate in my town got their heads together and changed BT's initial decision about enabling a cabinet in 2012 (They weren't going to, because without the new estate, its lines were about 95% business) and so you could say therefore that they had zero wait, because even the earliest handful of people to move in had the fibre twin cabinet installed and accepting orders.

Another cabinet which was in the same "phase" (pre-BDUK contracts being finalised, live date for 2012), and never in doubt of being enabled, is standing there physically as I type, but not accepting orders. I always watch roadworks.org and this week, the third lot of "NGA overlay" work, with the cabinet listed in the works description, is just being completed. It's still only duct 54 or 57 or whatever going in, so unless they've done it simultaneously, they'll still have to shove the plastic tubing (or "sub-duct") through about half a mile of ducting, before they then blow fibre through that and get it to the cabinet. I feel lucky I'm not fed by that cabinet and wanting fibre.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sat 03-Sep-16 02:01:30)

Standard User 23Prince
(newbie) Sat 03-Sep-16 11:03:45
Print Post

Our cab was hit by a lorry as it's inbetween warehouse doors of a tool hire company. New unit put in - ports filled and taking order the next day. 16 days from install to service technically. (it had not been used for months prior)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-16 15:35:29
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Don't think that counts really tongue Power and fibre and copper cable links would have all be in place.

This was a brand new fttc cab install.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sat 03-Sep-16 16:00:42
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

so which cab was that then

I've heard . I suppose it depends on how you look at it, a new-build estate in my town got their heads together and changed BT's initial decision about enabling a cabinet in 2012 (They weren't going to, because without the new estate, its lines were about 95% business) and so you could say therefore that they had zero wait, because even the earliest handful of people to move in had the fibre twin cabinet installed and accepting orders.

which exchange and cab ?
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-16 16:11:09
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

EAHAS, PCP 7

It's literally at the "mouth" of the town's industrial estate, but a new residential estate (not shown on Google Maps/Earth yet) now exists to the east of the industrial estate. There are something like 200 properties there. Whilst the new estate was being built, the PCP's status went directly from not getting a fibre twin, to one physically appearing there and accepting orders when the estate was half-built. The fibre cab is an ECI 128-line one.

Edit: I think the ECI 128 and 256-line cabs look externally the same, don't they? Well, it's ECI, anyway.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sat 03-Sep-16 16:22:15)

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sat 03-Sep-16 19:04:48
Print Post

don't think your information is quite correct -- I think it was enabled as part of the BDUK government programme and the housing estate are just lucky that the cab was enabled by part of the Government project
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sat 03-Sep-16 19:07:55
Print Post

youd ben surprised or not about how many new housing estates don't have any re conversation around fibre broadband on their site and likely if you purchase a new house even today you might find it only has copper broadband and a nice new green box at the entrance to the development
Standard User 23Prince
(learned) Sat 03-Sep-16 19:08:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Don't think that counts really tongue Power and fibre and copper cable links would have all be in place.

This was a brand new fttc cab install.

Aww frown tongue
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-16 20:11:40
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
youd ben surprised or not about how many new housing estates don't have any re conversation around fibre broadband on their site and likely if you purchase a new house even today you might find it only has copper broadband and a nice new green box at the entrance to the development

Yep, this is the case with a couple of new estates round here that were started some 8 years ago, still on sub 2meg! Although they are now in the scope of the currenty phase 2 BDUK and are all scheduled to be done by December this year.

All housing estates that have started within the last 12 months all seem to be going FTTP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to