General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jumping
(regular) Mon 05-Sep-16 15:46:40
Print Post

Needing a connection at warehouse type building

[link to this post]

Been asked to try and get some internet going in a warehouse/store type building that we have for work. There is FTTC available but its very slow, here is the stats from ADSL checker..

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 10 6.2 1.2 0.8 -- Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 7.9 2.6 1.2 0.5 -- Available --

ADSL Products
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 14 -- 8 to 17.5 Available --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 14 Up to 1 8 to 17.5 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 7 -- 6.5 to 8 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --

Looks like ADSL 2+ would be a better choice than fibre for this place but, think it should be enough speed for what is is used for but wasn't sure if there might be some other benefits to still going with the fibre compared to the ADSL2+

So curious what you guys think, just go with the ADSL or still go FTTC.

Thanks
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:05:10
Print Post

Re: Needing a connection at warehouse type building

[re: Jumping] [link to this post]

No benefits at all.

ADSL2+ looks the clear winner here.
Standard User solchain
(regular) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:39:29
Print Post

ADSL seems a winner to me, although could you ask any neighbouring businesses if they have tried fibre and what sort of speed they got?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:46:11
Print Post

Yep fibre makes no sense here. ADSL will be cheaper and faster smile
Standard User Jumping
(regular) Tue 06-Sep-16 08:43:26
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

I haven't been to this building myself so had to look it up where it is and it is kinda in the middle of nowhere so I think ADSL will be the option I will recommend for us to get. So can't see they putting a FTTC cab any close, plus no point in investing in something more expensive as there is talk about moving out that office...although speaking to the guy that works there he said they been saying for like 6 years they are moving out LOL.

Thanks for all your help guys and confirming my thinking is sound!
Standard User smouty
(member) Thu 08-Sep-16 08:35:43
Print Post

Are there any adjacent buildings and is FTTC faster there?
If so you can have a microwave link from a few KMs away and it is very reasonably priced.
I'm very impressed with what Ubiquiti have done in this area.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Fri 09-Sep-16 10:39:20
Print Post

Hey there

Not sure how "in the middle of nowhere" the building is however please feel free to PM the postcode for the building so we can check whether we can help. Alternatively, you can check our map -> https://www.hyperoptic.com/map/ to see if we're in the area.

Good luck with your search!

Ana

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Sep-16 12:07:32
Print Post

Whilst agreeing that ADSL2 appears to be a sensible choice, given the information you have given - have you tried the Quiet Line Test and can you extract the Download and Upload Attenuation figures etc?

Keep in mind that any improvements that might be possible will benefit any x DSL products and that they are more easily dealt with under ADSL than VDSL.

Edited by eckiedoo (Fri 09-Sep-16 19:24:05)

Standard User Jumping
(regular) Mon 12-Sep-16 16:16:25
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

There isn't any line there at the moment, the guy that works there said something about they tried to put a line in while back but couldn't do it...not that it says much.

Think we just going to have to place an order and see what happens. Tried to see with BT how much difference it would be in cost to FTTC but can't get non FTTC options up...guess they really want to get that £50 infinity setup fee smile
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Sep-16 16:33:28
Print Post

As that existing line is not providing a decent service, try the QLT etc on it; and getting the Downstream & Upstream attenuations from the modem.

Knowing the situation in detail for that existing line, both gives you the chance of improving it; and also good preparation for testing any new line/s, as they are put in.

It will also allow you to make informed decisions about what to otder for the new lines - and even possibly backtrack to ADSL on the existing line if it is likely to give a more reliable service.

Forewarned is Forearmed!
  Print Thread

Jump to