General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jak365
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 09:08:26
Print Post

Openreach Records - Property Registered to Wrong Cabinet?

[link to this post]

TL:DR -
- Openreach engineer tells me I am connected to cabinet 2.
- dslchecker.bt.com also tells me I am connected to cabinet 2.
- Cabinet 2 becomes FTTC.
- Suddenly dslchecker.bt.com says I am on a different cabinet (no FTTC).
- Irregular download speed suggests Iím on a fibre line.
- What should I do?

Hi everyone, Iíve posted a TL:DR above as this post will be a little long but I hope somebody might be able to read through and suggest what my best option is based on the information I have to share. Thanks in advance, here goes:

I moved into a Ďnew buildí apartment in mid-2013. The building was originally a factory of some kind which was converted into 14 apartments in 2012. There is a cabinet directly across the street from the building (cabinet 12) and one up the road nearer the centre of my village (cabinet 2). The exchange wasnít fibre enabled at that time so no fibre to either cabinet. When researching the property before buying however, cswbroadband.org.uk (a local authority funded initiative to provide fibre to more rural areas) had the exchange and cabinet 2 listed as being in the planning phases for fibre upgrades.

dslchecker.bt.com had the property listed as being on cabinet 2 (based on address checker as I didnít have a landline then to check it from). I purchased the property and when the Openreach engineer arrived to setup the phone line he confirmed to me that he would have to go up the road to cabinet 2 to setup the line as he had already done several setups in my building and I am definitely connected to cabinet 2 and not 12 across the road. So great, I was definitely on the cabinet planned for FTTC upgrade. I went with a cheap broadband provider as I had to settle for ~1.2mb connection while I waited for the upgrade. No point in paying more money to BT or another big provider for the same terrible speeds.

I followed the upgrade process using my address data on the homeandwork.openreach.co.uk fibre rollout map and eventually (around the end of 2014) cabinet 2 was ready to take orders. However, as soon as this happened, all records on BT, dslchecker.bt.com etc. changed to say my address was now supplied by cabinet 12, not 2. My first question then, is it possible to change a property from one cabinet to another during a fibre upgrade? There were never any roadworks or work done around cabinet 12 for the whole upgrade process of cabinet 2 and never any internet downtime for me either. I phoned BT for clarification and to explain the confusion and was basically told to go away as his system said I was on cabinet 12 so couldnít upgrade to fibre.

I might have given up and accepted this but, I download several large files as part of my job and at the moment this is obviously excruciatingly slow. However, on my wireless connection which usually can achieve an actual file download speed of ~150-200kb/s at absolute best, for a brief period of about an hour one night after cabinet 2 was upgraded for seemingly no reason this download speed skyrocketed. For this hour, I was downloading at 10mb/s consistently. I was downloading gigabytes of data in just a few minutes and the files were intact when opened. If I was on cabinet 12 which is over 3km from the exchange on a copper line then there is surely no way that would be possible right? I again phones BT and was told maybe they were just Ďchecking the lineí and again to go away.

An Openreach engineer attended where I work to upgrade our work line and I spoke to him about everything Iíve described above and he is fairly confident that Openreachís records are wrong, which apparently is fairly common in new build properties.

Iíve been waiting patiently as my little building on the CSW map was still listed as planned for upgrade so I hoped everything would be cleared up but the map has now been changed and the building is not part of any planned upgrades. I need to know what my best option is now. Give up and accept my building is the only residential property in my village that canít get fibre? Should I switch my broadband to BT so I have a BT landline? Would that help? Should I request an Openreach engineer attend and risk the risk their call out charge (the rest of the apartments are owned by elderly couples who have no interest in faster broadband). Is there a better option?

Apologies for the wall of text but I wanted to be thorough in my explanation of where Iím at. Does anybody have any input that could help me in understanding whatís been happening here?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-16 12:57:51
Print Post

Re: Openreach Records - Property Registered to Wrong Cabinet

[re: Jak365] [link to this post]

Mistakes happen with the records - the hardest thing to figure out is who is best to get things a) checked, then b) corrected.

I had something of a problem, where the initial survey put the wrong cabinet number into the records, and it took more than 2 months (and a lot of engineers) to get corrected. Slightly more details in this post. The "pair prove" was the key activity.

In my case, my ISP badgered Openreach (via BTW, I guess), but I had the advantage that both cabinets had been converted ... so my order was accepted anyway. That meant I got past the sales droids, and could deal with the support staff - though I needed to escalate it beyond the ordinary call centre staff to get things moving properly.

In your case, if you followed my path, you need an ISP who will go to bat for you without that order - and that probably requires a decent ISP that costs more. AAISP is well known for chasing issues, for example. Others might help too, and post on here. Aquiss springs to mind.

Otherwise, you need to persuade Openreach to do some updates without going through your ISP, which is harder. @MrSaffron takes on some cases, while others end up sending emails to BT's CEO or chairman.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-16 13:03:27
Print Post

BTW

I can't explain the erratic speed behaviour you saw, except to wonder ... was this via WiFi?

If so, is it plausible that you accidentally connected to someone else's wifi connection, and got the benefit of their FTTC speeds?

I think we've seen a case of this. We've also seen cases where powerline adapters end up connected to a neighbour instead.

In the normal case, your copper pair will not be routed via the FTTC cabinet until you order, making it impossible for you to accidentally connect to the DSLAM within. Your speed improvement is unlikely to have come from that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jak365
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 13:57:29
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hi WWWombat, thanks for the reply. I'll look into speaking with other ISPs to see if any are willing to assist. Would you know, if I were to request an Openreach engineer to come to the property to confirm the cabinet, if it turned out the records were incorrect, would this be classed as chargeable even though technically I'm not at fault?

The initial Openreach engineer did confirm I am connected to the other cabinet but it would be comforting to know for certain that I am indeed eligible for fibre before starting to 'fight my corner' so to speak. I thought the 10mb/s speed I had gotten confirmed I am in fact on the FTTC cabinet but as you said it isn't likely to have come from there so I'm not sure where that download speed came from. There is a business property with its own privately paid for connection next door to me but how my laptop would manage to connect to that secure line without me even trying I have no idea.

I may have to get an Openreach engineer out to confirm the records are wrong and just pay the call out charge if necessary at least so when I go to any ISPs or e-mail the BT higher ups I have certainty that I'm in the right.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 08-Sep-16 14:34:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jak365:
. There is a business property with its own privately paid for connection next door to me but how my laptop would manage to connect to that secure line without me even trying I have no idea.

They could have an open access point. We do at work for when visitors want to use the internet so they can be kept off our secure network.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Sep-16 14:37:18
Print Post

You can see what wifi SSID it is connected to.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Jak365
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 14:46:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

When I had the elevated download speeds the SSID was still reading as my own home network which is what caused me to believe my line was capable of fibre speeds in the first place. There's no visible open network in range either so I have no idea how it happened. If it's not relevant to resolving my cabinet issue then I suppose it doesn't really matter, just odd.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Sep-16 15:46:16
Print Post

What was saying you had an elevated speed?

Only way to get FTTC type speeds is for you to have ordered and be paying for a FTTC connection, it does not happen automatically or randomly.

The devil is all in the detail, and without actual address people can only guess, the ISP should handle all this for you as its why you pay them.

Getting an engineer out should be an absolute last resort, since this can be all confirmed from the various records remotely.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-16 16:11:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jak365:
Would you know, if I were to request an Openreach engineer to come to the property to confirm the cabinet, if it turned out the records were incorrect, would this be classed as chargeable even though technically I'm not at fault?

I wouldn't know.

However, Openreach engineers don't just turn up with no knowledge of what to do - they are given a specific task, which is created when the ISP asks for some action to be taken. They won't do something that isn't on the job sheet.

That, in turn, means you have to persuade an ISP to ask for the right action.

I can't see your current ISP agreeing unless there is a fault associated with the line, or they see that there is an order for FTTC coming from this work.

What result from the checker do you get for your neighbours' phone numbers? Do they all now give the distant cab instead of the nearer one?
Standard User Jak365
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 16:13:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The elevated speed was from the fact I downloaded several ~2GB files in less than 5 minutes each as opposed to the 3+ hours it usually takes and the download speed displayed for each file stated 10mb/s, all while my SSID was still listed as my own network. It was a one off occurrence which apparently isn't relevant though so I guess it doesn't matter.

The problem I have is that the current records that are being used to check my fibre availability are conflicting with previous records and information I was given by the actual engineer who set up my phone line. I'll contact my ISP tonight and see if I can make any progress with them now. If all they do is check the same records that I can check though then I don't see me getting anywhere as these are what I believe are wrong, as the second Openreach engineer I spoke to also seems to think.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to