General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TSDPHil
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-16 17:27:31
Print Post

Neighbour can get it but I cant

[link to this post]

Evening all

Newbie here.

Our village in North Wales has recently had FTTH/FTTP works carried out and various houses are able to place orders for fibre broadband including my neighbours house which is attached to mine.

However, when checking availability for my property the results indicate that my status is 'In Scope' and therefore I cannot place an order.

When Openreach/BT (not sure) were making the final connection to my neighbours property the Engineer advised that they could see no reason why I shouldn't be able to get fibre now.

Any idea who I need to contact at Openreach to discuss or do I need to go through BT?

Any contact numbers, e mail addresses, names, etc. would be much appreciated.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Phil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Sep-16 18:25:04
Print Post

Re: Neighbour can get it but I cant

[re: TSDPHil] [link to this post]

So neighbour has a live connection? Rather than just the stuff being installed in the street. If so then email me andrew@thinkbroadband.com with your address details and telephone number and will pass onto Openreach to get the database updated if after looking at the info that it does look like a mistake.

There is a chance that the neighbour may be on one fttp manifold and you will be on another that is yet to be installed, but more often it is a checker error

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TSDPHil
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-16 18:58:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

I have dropped you a message and hopefully it is a database error.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TSDPHil
(newbie) Tue 20-Sep-16 09:51:01
Print Post

Well after raising the issue with Openreach I have received the following response which I consider totally unacceptable :

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

You are connected to Exchange: HALKYN and Cabinet: 4

I would like to inform you that the fibre project in your area comes under BDUK programme .It is a programme regulated by the government. The government is solely responsible for these projects.

The fibre project is estimated to get complete around end of January 2017. However, this date is subject to change.

There are several stages through which a fibre project passes during its journey. Our website is updated to reflect the same.

Also, there are chances that your neighbours are connect to a different exchange or cabinet.

As we do not have access to their database hence we have limited information regarding its completion, expansion and availability.

We understand that this is frustrating, however, the governmentís Superfast extension programme is bringing fibre into your area so please visit http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/rural-broadband/ (which covers non-rural addresses also).

For further details you can visit the above link.

To keep up to date on the progress, you can check online at- http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-ge...

I hope you understand that we have a real commitment to delivering Superfast fibre to the people and businesses of Britain. Iím sorry that we havenít yet provided you with this service.

The point is my neighbour is on the HALKYN exchange and Cabinet 4 and can get this.

Does anybody have a number that I can call somebody at Openreach as waiting to January is not acceptable for me as somebody who runs his business from home and pays for a business line and broadband.

Thanks in advance
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 20-Sep-16 10:07:07
Print Post

Cabinet 4 is not FTTC enabled.
Standard User TSDPHil
(newbie) Tue 20-Sep-16 10:11:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BatBoy - Yes Cabinet 4 is not FTTC enabled but is FTTP/FTTH enabled as my neighbour (who's house adjoins mine) is also noted as being on HALKYN exchange and Cabinet 4 and has FTTP/FTTH along with a handful of other houses down my road.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 20-Sep-16 10:15:34
Print Post

The number for the FTTP sales team used to be 0800 587 4787
Standard User richi
(regular) Tue 20-Sep-16 10:37:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Beware: This is the number for BT Retail's "fibre" sales team.

I called them back in July, to help me understand what the checker was saying about FTTP at my rural location (a query since resolved with MrSaffron's help).

The chap I spoke to had no clue what he was talking about. For example:
* There's no such thing as LLU -- all pure copper connections use BT's DSLAMs
* An FTTPoD connection now costs just £125, no matter how much fibre needs to be laid
* The FTTPoD monthly costs are the same as Infinity FTTC, except it's a 36-month contract
* BT will do all this for me out of the goodness of their hearts, because I'm just too far from the PCP

tl;dr: don't believe a word of what these commission monkeys tell you.

3 km line on THTG: 16/1 Mb/s with Pulse8

Edited by richi (Tue 20-Sep-16 10:38:39)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 20-Sep-16 10:43:35
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by richi:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Beware: This is the number for BT Retail's "fibre" sales team.

I called them back in July,
Thanks for confirming it still works
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Tue 20-Sep-16 11:48:35
Print Post

You may also want to try contacting your local BDUK team, they should have an idea of what stage things are at. The people I have contacted at West Sussex Better Connected have been very responsive to questions I have had, so hope that your local team would be able to provide a similar service.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to