General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-16 16:29:26
Print Post

BT Retail IP addresses

[link to this post]

How "sticky" is a BT Retail ipv4 IP address? Also to what extent has BT Retail rolled out ipv6 to its customers?

Thanks
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-16 21:11:35
Print Post

Re: BT Retail IP addresses

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

when I was on BT they were not very sticky, a sync event on the modem or new ppp session would change the ip.

I think their ipv6 will be rolled out within 12 months as I think they very close to rolling it out now.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-16 21:55:37
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks. As an FTTC connection is now available to me I was wondering whether to move to BT Retail for the first year (12 month contract, new user discount, Quidco etc.) or to stick with what I've got which includes a fixed iP address. Having waited nearly five years to get to this point it's now decision time! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ironman12345
(learned) Tue 13-Sep-16 23:35:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
Thanks. As an FTTC connection is now available to me I was wondering whether to move to BT Retail for the first year (12 month contract, new user discount, Quidco etc.) or to stick with what I've got which includes a fixed iP address. Having waited nearly five years to get to this point it's now decision time! smile

If you really need a static [fixed IP] then stay where you are, but if a dynamic IP that could change often does not worry you then a move to FTTC might be better.
If you use web servers , mail servers or any server that requires a static IP then they will need updating by remote software such as "NOIP" etc.
Standard User Trolltamer
(regular) Tue 13-Sep-16 23:50:19
Print Post

BT have never had a "sticky IP" as far as I know but Zen offer a free static IP on FTTC and nearly a year in it has been a good service. All depends on how much a static IP is needed, if you have a good line could last 4 weeks but it will change as soon as you get a drop or a new session forced by BT.

Hope that helps,

Dave
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-16 00:33:02
Print Post

[re: Trolltamer] [link to this post]

If MCM's profile is correct, he's currently with Plusnet.

Zen will give a static IPv4 address as you say. On request, they will allocate a static IPv6 /48. They might still agree to a free IPv4 /29 if requested at signup, you can justify allocation of the addresses and persuade them your system is capable of routed IPv4.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to