General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ikoth
(newbie) Sun 18-Sep-16 17:09:05
Print Post

Cabinet Plans?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

While considering a house move, I checked that the exchange serving the new house (Halkyn - WNHAL) is FTTC enabled. It is "in some areas".

Upon further investigation, it seems that the cabinet serving the address (Cabinet 1, according to www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx) is currently only "In Scope" for upgrade.

Is there any way to check how long it's been at that project stage, and when the upgrade is likely to happen? I work from home and poor connectivity is a potential show stopper as far as the house move goes, although I could probably survive on DSL for a couple of months.

TIA.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Sep-16 20:26:32
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Plans?

[re: Ikoth] [link to this post]

Could be anything from a couple of months to several years, best advice only buy/move based on what is actually already available at a property

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-16 21:26:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And being FTTP makes it even more difficult to predict especially as it seem to have been 2years so far. Maybe the OP can try contacting the Welsh BDUK for info or the Openreach contact web form

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(regular) Mon 19-Sep-16 10:52:24
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Yes looks like parts of that area is in scope for FTTP, which as you say is very hard to predict when it is RFS. As the SFC completion date is currently June 2017, then I would say that any work currently being done would be RFS around then. Though could be sooner.

The OP will need to contact the Welsh Government as they now handle the queries for SFC - (please be aware that there may be a 15 working day/3week delay between correspondents.)
Standard User Ikoth
(newbie) Mon 19-Sep-16 19:46:36
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestions. I will make appropriate enquiries.

I might also just go knock on the door of the Exchange and see who's home. This tactic has worked for me in the past. I once had a very interesting conversation with the Project Manager who was overseeing the ADSL rollout in my area, back in the day. He just happened to be at my Exchange that day smile

Cheers,

I.
  Print Thread

Jump to