General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User puntoboy
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-16 15:21:41
Print Post

FTTP ISP - am I stuck with BT

[link to this post]

Hello, our new build house will be finished soon an Openreach are rolling out FTTP to the estate. Excellent news, however I have some questions.

The list of FTTP ISPs is pretty short and only BT seem to show anything over 80Mb/s. Are BT the only ISP offering 200 or even 300Mb/s download speeds?

Am I able to get a static IP Address with BT?

I assume I'm stuck with FTTP as copper cables will not be installed?

Thanks smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Sep-16 15:35:29
Print Post

Re: FTTP ISP - am I stuck with BT

[re: puntoboy] [link to this post]

On FTTP (full fibre only areas) then yes no ADSL2+ since that needs copper.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/jump.html?type=5&url=h... should allow you to order Infinity1, 2, 3 or 4 as a new customer.

Sometimes the BT Retail shop can present varying views, but that link above does offer all four speeds starting at up to 52 Mbps. Many comparison listings have no idea about FTTP and don't link to the FTTP pages.

PlusNet is another option, as are more SME focussed providers like AAISP, Zen, IDNet, Spectrum Internet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User puntoboy
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-16 16:11:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you.

I was already aware of the BT packages but none of the other ISPs seem to list any packages faster than 80Mb/s hence my question.

So if I want 300Mb/s does that mean that BT is my only option?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Thu 22-Sep-16 16:19:17
Print Post

I'd love infinity 4.. It's a shame we don't all get the chance to order it - that price is really good.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Sep-16 16:19:19
Print Post

At consumer level pricing yes

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/zen/package/1650.html Zen Unlimited Fibre Office 3 (FTTP) and Phone Package is £118.80 per month

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User puntoboy
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-16 16:23:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
At consumer level pricing yes

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/zen/package/1650.html Zen Unlimited Fibre Office 3 (FTTP) and Phone Package is £118.80 per month

Thanks, this is a shame as I really dislike BT in general. We are also having the option of Virgin Media but I'm not overly keen on them either.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Sep-16 17:10:12
Print Post

How important is higher than 80/20Mbps. Bearing in mind those are actual connection speeds, not "up to"s.

It's also worth checking whether the faster options have any throughput "promises", or whether they are just burst speeds. There may be an Openreach caveat about that, such as only 80Mbps being sustainable.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User legume
(experienced) Thu 22-Sep-16 17:19:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good point.

Anyone know what fttp is in the tech sense?

I mean is it GPON ITU G.984 or something else. If it is GPON 2.4 gig down, 1.2 up, then how many splits do openreach do in real deployments.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Sep-16 17:38:48
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

its GPON with 2.4Gbps shared via 32 way splits

Standard User legume
(experienced) Thu 22-Sep-16 17:45:45
Print Post

Ahh, thank you.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to