General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AppianWay
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 09:18:49
Print Post

Fibre Broadband & moving BT master socket

[link to this post]

I have FTTC in my area but would like to have my BT mastersocket moved about 1 metre nearer the front door (and near a plug socket) before I sign up for fibre broadband with my ISP and an engineer comes out. I did read somewhere that as part of the this process you can get your master socket moved a short distance for free (instead of the engineer just replacing the faceplate). However, I can't now find where I read that. Does anyone know if this is possible? Otherwise I think I would have to pay over £100 to get it moved in advance, but I'm reluctant to do that if it can be done all in one go.
thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 09:47:38
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband & moving BT master socket

[re: AppianWay] [link to this post]

I think most ISPs now use "self install" so no engineer comes to the house. When it wasn't self install you generally paid for the installation so may have been no cheaper than paying an engineer to come and do the job.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 26-Sep-16 09:49:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I think most ISPs now use "self install" so no engineer comes to the house. When it wasn't self install you generally paid for the installation.
I didn't pay for my engineer-install
confused

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 10:38:06
Print Post

my BT mastersocket moved about 1 metre nearer the front door (and near a plug socket)

Rather than go for the expense (and it would be) of an NTE shift, then for such a short move surely just get a longer RJ11 to RJ11 lead ? Most that come with the routers are 1.5m some longer already.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Sep-16 11:03:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Provider was charged, but they may have absorbed it across the contract term, just like some still do for the £49 self install charge, though a growing number charge that now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AppianWay
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 18:24:13
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. Wasn't aware of "self-install" option; since the local BT cabinet has been upgraded most people seem to get an OpenReach engineer out. And I still need my mastersocket moved - for reasons to do with a recent porch extension - so will contact my ISP (Plusnet) to see what's possible.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Sep-16 12:04:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
my BT mastersocket moved about 1 metre nearer the front door (and near a plug socket)

Rather than go for the expense (and it would be) of an NTE shift, then for such a short move surely just get a longer RJ11 to RJ11 lead ? Most that come with the routers are 1.5m some longer already.

Providing its not one of those cheap flat non twisted cables wink

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to