General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User c0dec
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 09:31:42
Print Post

Who would you recommend for FTTC?

[link to this post]

Looking to move from Plusnet as my monthly discount has finished and honestly donít know who are the better FTTC ISPís these days, was tempted by Zen but their big one off feeís at signup and recent negative reviews are putting me off. I donít mind paying a premium for a decent product as long as is stable, as fast as it can be on my line, has decent support if/when required and basically does was it says on the tin.

Cheers,
Dan
Standard User bet_here
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 09:35:22
Print Post

Re: Who would you recommend for FTTC?

[re: c0dec] [link to this post]

This should perhaps be better in one of the 'Which ISP' areas...
In reply to a post by c0dec:
I donít mind paying a premium for a decent product

Then AAISP should be on your shortlist
Standard User steve14
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 10:03:22
Print Post

Was with BT infinity due to an offer of Sainsburys vouchers to start with. Didn't get the vouchers, which [censored] me off a bit so I move to Zen. Zen have been just about perfect and I've been with them over a year now, might be two years. BT were fine too, a little congested at times, didn't happen too often but it did happen. I got 80/20 with both companies and was at about 78/19 with my connection speeds with both companies. Zen is more expensive but IMHO they are worth it. I think the negative reviews come from them upgrading their network and they had some problems with the upgrade. I didn't notice it, but I'm in a fairly low density area, which might be the reason.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Sep-16 10:04:04
Print Post

Are you unhappy with Plusnet? If not, what has the Customer Options Team offered you?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User c0dec
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 10:46:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nothing yet but im not happy with their customer service (when I actually need it) and in general the connection isn't as 'good' as it has previously been, which I notice more in gaming than anything else, latency, routing etc all seems to have gone down hill for me, yes I know about interleaving which has always been on. Speed wise its fine, ive only dropped a few mbit over the years.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-16 11:01:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by c0dec:
I donít mind paying a premium for a decent product as long as is stable

Seconded on AAISP. They're excellent and their customer support is great. They also have a good working relationship with Openreach.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-16 11:04:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The length of time Plusnet keep you waiting if you want to contact their support would be a good reason for leaving them. I was told I would have to wait an hour quite recently. I raised an online question was has remained unanswered for 12 days.

Michael Chare
Standard User c0dec
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 12:06:09
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

How does it work with a home phone with AAISP? I do still need the same number as family members often still ring me on it, AAISP they mentioned voip for my current number which is fine, but how would I go about setting that up if I went with them and how much extra is it? They quoted me £60 a month for FTTC and line rental but this didnt mention voip.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Sep-16 12:23:34
Print Post

Take line at £13pm + £1pm caller display with Pulse8broadband. FTTC with AAISP.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User fleddy
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 12:33:26
Print Post

Very happy with TalkTalk myself (no I'm not a plant). They're by far the cheapest (£15.70 + £3.75 if you
pre-pay the line rental and you can probably get a free year.. saving you the £3.75 a month).

There's reasonable support via their Community forum. Just don't try to call/talk to them wink
Talk, talk all you like but they're not listening.

I have 6 VoIP numbers (via Sipgate) and they all work fine. You can probably keep your old landline
number as well.

PS Recommend using your own router (Draytek), the ones I've seen from ISPs aren't that stable.
I do know someone who recently switch from TT to BT because of the supplied router, too short
sighted to see the benefit of having/investing in their own good kit.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to