General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-16 22:45:06
Print Post

Battery backup backup

[link to this post]

The Openreach engineer who connected up our fibre service the other day suggested that the BBU would provide backup power for only about an hour. Having had experience of numerous power cuts here lasting hours and in one case two weeks, this seemed woefully under-specified.
Say I wanted to keep the ONT plus one laptop running for 48 hours use, can anyone suggest a suitable arrangement?
Given:
That the router would be disconnected and the laptop plugged directly into the ONT;
That laptop and ONT would only be powered during use, so the 48 hours could be eked out over a longer period;
That no generator is available and there is no PV power source.
That in this case, two separate power supplies would be convenient - one for laptop, the other for ONT;
That all communication is over fibre and no copper phone line exists;
That the disaster that befell the local power supply failed to disrupt the fibre network.
Or should I be looking for a Survivalist site with this question?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 28-Sep-16 23:36:18
Print Post

Re: Battery backup backup

[re: sandcastle] [link to this post]

Mobile phone?
Standard User panda
(committed) Thu 29-Sep-16 07:25:25
Print Post

Buy a UPS at whatever rating you need for the duration/power consumption required.

Eats shoots and leaves.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Sep-16 07:44:36
Print Post

Possibly with Wind, Solar and similar supplementary charging to the UPS.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 29-Sep-16 07:48:11
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

You can charge a mobile phone in a car.
Standard User georgelnx
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-16 09:16:18
Print Post

As someone who has worked on data centre power contingency, you will need a generator.
Battery backup is only meant to allow sufficient time for the graceful shutdown of equipment or to cover the time frame in which the generators can kick in.
If you really only see batteries as the solution, then you could look at the large leisure batteries used in RV/boats and do the maths to see how many you would need to handle your requirements.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Sep-16 09:19:28
Print Post

If its FTTP the BBU takes pencil batteries, so just buy loads of rechargeable ones and when they go flat replace them with charged ones.

I am thinking of getting a SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) Battery for ours for when there is power cuts.

If the pencil batteries only last an hour then the ONT etc must be drawing around 800mA to 1 Amp, but that depends on how good the rechargeable batteries are that are fitted to the BBU.

Paul
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 29-Sep-16 09:31:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by sandcastle:
The Openreach engineer who connected up our fibre service the other day suggested that the BBU would provide backup power for only about an hour. Having had experience of numerous power cuts here lasting hours and in one case two weeks, this seemed woefully under-specified.

I would disagree with that. It is not BTs job to provide power for devices in your house that is the job of the power distribution companies. The battery back up is to provide continuity of power for short periods such as if you needed to power off the house or a breaker tripped, or a short local power outage and to allow for a clean shut-down of the connection and potentially attached equipment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Thu 29-Sep-16 09:39:52
Print Post

Question - Does the BBU provide power to enable network access? There was a proposal that it only supplied power to the ATA within the modem/ONT for FVA? Not having FTTP I can't try it!

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultati...

Edited by ferretuk (Thu 29-Sep-16 09:41:02)

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 29-Sep-16 10:07:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I always thought telco's had to provide the capability to be able to make phone calls during power outages which is why corded phones are powered via the phone line. I have a cordless phone and the base has battery backup so it can still be used during power outages.

Edited by simon194 (Thu 29-Sep-16 10:07:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to