General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User badnbusy
(experienced) Thu 29-Sep-16 15:37:48
Print Post

Can Virgin Media use existing Fibre to provide coax service?

[link to this post]

The business where I work is moving to a new premise in the next few months. I've been to visit today and check out the current state of connectivity, networking etc.

The Virgin Media checker says they can't provide service at the address, but I've spoken to them on the phone and their plans do show some presence in that area.

I've had a look outside the building and can indeed see some manhole covers labelled "ntl", and when I follow the path I can see they have ducting right up to the building. In that ducting is a black (thick) cable, not their usual coax.

Inside the building, I have actually located a Fibre termination box which changes the black cable in to a smaller green cable with Fibre written on. The other end of this is no longer connected inside the server rack, but was in use previously.

So it looks like the previous occupiers (or whoever) originally had true Fibre / Leased Line from them

Question: Although we can't afford true Fibre, can VM utilise this cable to provide their traditional coax-based service, by converting the fibre on-site. Or, do they have to go back to the cab (approx half a mile away) and pull a separate coax cable to supply service?

Thanks
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 29-Sep-16 16:07:19
Print Post

Re: Can Virgin Media use existing Fibre to provide coax serv

[re: badnbusy] [link to this post]

I'd imagine the latter.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Sep-16 18:46:15
Print Post

Re: Can Virgin Media use existing Fibre to provide coax serv

[re: badnbusy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by badnbusy:
Question: Although we can't afford true Fibre, can VM utilise this cable to provide their traditional coax-based service, by converting the fibre on-site.

Sadly no. That fibre will be going to some metro-Ethernet kit somewhere which is no good for CATV, and VM wouldn't install a fibre optic node in situ even if there were a viable fibre route.

They aren't going to devote an entire optical node to just your premises either unfortunately. It would actually be more expensive to them than a leased line.

They can't run coax from half a mile away, they'd need to use too many amplifiers and the signal wouldn't be much good by the time it reached you. That or use insanely fat coax which mightn't be an option.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to